Chapter 8

I got in.

Printed onto the thick, rough textured stood the words that accepted me as a contestant. I will be representing my continent, Carolina, as possibly their future princess.

"Princess" I muttered my breath.

I couldn't believe it.

"Possibly princes." I said louder and with more excitement, than last time.

"And maybe with a prince? Who will love me; my happily ever after in one sentence." I whispered to myself. I plopped onto my bed, staring at the ceiling, dreaming.

All I could do was dream and wear that broad smile of mine. I just couldn't stop. If I like it or not, that smile and good vibe will last.

I sat straight, flattened my day dress and walked down the stairs, to the garden. I loved to do garden work, although it is part of my daily chores. I took a shovel and a pair of gloves from the storage room.

Today's first job is to get rid of all the noticeable weeds. It felt good to pull out the weeds that damaged the beautiful flowers, the negative things. The negative is leaving, as positive things come; the sunlight, water and my nourishment.

My smile lasted, and it grew wider when mother invited me to join her to eat an afternoon snack. She said that Gabriella was joining.

"It's a great time for us to all bond. I feel as if our relationship has recently been drifting apart." She added.

Can this day get any better?

Ma may not be the cold person I imagined her as. I'll give her a second chance, everyone deserves a second chance.

I peeped down at my watch to see what time it is. The hands of the watch stated that it's 3:00 pm, the time for our afternoon snack. I squealed with excitement for our bonding moment.

I walked around the house to arrive at the porch, spotting Ma and Gabriella. I waved shyly, afraid to ruin this perfect opportunity.

"Hi Sara, come join us." Ma said sweetly. She waved with her hands, gesturing me to sit beside her.

"Thank you Ma" I replied.

"How are you girls doing today?" She inquired.

"Ughh. Horrible. Can't get any worse." Gabriella spat. Her brows were furrowed together in frustration as her breath sped. My smile dropped. She is like the weed in the garden, taking away water from the flowers.

"How about you?" Ma turned to face me, interrupting my thoughts.

My smile was brought back, because of her warmness.

"Quite a lovely day today, making me feel the same. I'm as content as I can be." I responded.

Out of the corner of my eyes, I spot Gabriella rolling her eyes.

"Alright girls." Ma clapped her hands together. "Let's drink some tea." She declared.

"Whatever you say Ma." Gabriella teased.

Ma handed me a tiny cup, filled with jasmine tea. The aroma of fresh brewed tea filled the air.

"Thanks!" I said with excitement.

I looked up, seeing Ma smiling back at me. She had the sparkles in her eyes.

Before I my lips touched the brim of the cup, Ma handed me an apple. Gabriella received one as well.

"Family tradition to eat an apple before tea." She stated.

Why did I here the regret in her voice. I saw pain through her eyes as she made the statement.

"Sorry, I didn't know." I apologized. My cheeks became red, as I flushed with embarrassment.

I lifted my apple and took a big bite into the red, ripe apple. The juice of the apple exploded in my mouth. It is an refreshment to this hot summer day.

Then, everything went wrong.

I felt dizziness clashing through my head. My head wobbled strangely in all directions. I lifted my mouth to ask for help, but nothing understandable came out. My words jumbled out of my mouth, in the wrong order.

My vision blurred.

Everything went pitch black.