Chapter 3

I set up the table for breakfast, while humming a tune. Everything just seemed to be better. I skipped to the cupboard to get the cutlery. I came back swirling, dancing. I placed the forks, knives, and spoons perfectly in the right spots. Dishes placed in the usual spots and napkins right beside.

The aroma of pancakes and maple syrup filled the room, mixed along with the succulent, juicy sausages. I took a deep breath in, satisfied with my work. Closing my eyes, I smiled to myself. I would make a great princess.

However, my smile was immediately washed off. I heard the sudden footsteps of my mother, my sister following behind. I didn't want to share my happiness with my mother, afraid she may ruin it.

"Good morning Ma." I said quietly, yet audible.

She ignored my greeting and sat down, getting ready to dig in. I could see the spark in her eyes, she was once proud of me. Temptations lead her to slice up the pancake to pieces as she ate. Gabriella's face had the same reaction as my mother. I have a chance, I thought to myself.

As soon as Ma and Gabriella left the table, I gathered their dishes and put the leftovers in a bucket. Following, I grabbed my dish I saved for myself. Their wasn't much food on the plate, Ma didn't leave enough money to get food for the three of us. She only left enough for her and Gabriella. I was left eating a bare amount of the food.

It didn't make sense to me, Ma is a wealthy woman. She can easily afford to give me enough food to fill myself, yet she chooses not to.

I gave a sigh and finished the food, lighting up. The pancakes tasted delicious, food was really a cure. I threw the dishes in the sink, leaving the it for later to wash. Right now, I have to take care of something more important.

I am going to fill out the Selection entree form.

Along the way out of the door, I grabbed the bucket full of leftovers and walked to the pigpen. Willow and Henry were waiting for me, hunger in their eyes. Their heads were slightly crocked to the side, longing for the leftovers.

I smiled and nodded, their cuteness was another star in my pit of blackness. Without further ado, I poured the leftovers into the pig bin.

Henry was the first to arrive at the pig bin, eating away. Willow disrupted, pushing him away. Their little fight made me giggle.

I went back and sat in the pile of hay watching them. Once I settled in, I grabbed my pen and The Selection entree form, displaying them in front of myself. Something is missing.

I am missing a hard-surface to write my form on, I want this to be as perfect as possible. I look around, spotting a piece of cardboard lying in the corner of the hay pile. I crawl over and placed it with the other supplies.

Form, pen, and cardboard. Time to get to work.

Everything was easy to answer, age, birthdate, name and other basic information. I was quite proud of my talents section. Most people only speak one language, English, but Pa left me with the knowledge of french.

"Je t'adore," he would say with a small accent and faint smile.

I folded the paper, placed it in my pockets, being the happiest girl I could ever be.