Shooting the Breeze -47-

For anyone still interested in reading this I once again apologize for the long, long wait for this chapter. My muse went on an abrupt vacation and took my brain with her. Going to insist she keep her behind at home from now on ;-)

CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN

It seemed Christmas had just arrived early and this woman named Kathy Booker delivered her an incredible present topped with a shiny bow. Ohio. Ellie and Cara were on their way to a cabin in Ohio thanks to Kathy's husband Doctor Nicholas Booker providing them with money and the key after fixing Cara up on the night Dennis and Jeffrey were killed.

He hadn't planned on his wife knowing he helped the teenagers, but inevitably spilled when she pressed for details. Ignoring her conscience Kathy promised to keep the secret to herself, but after learning what happened with the truck driver she decided it necessary to come forward. Since being on the road they had injured two men. What if next time they killed someone? What if they themselves were hurt or killed? Kathy would never forgive herself. Regardless of how Nicholas would react upon learning what she had done she had to. Coming to Amelia Dunn was the right thing to do.

As though reading her thoughts the prosecutor told her she had done the right thing. A faint smile worn Amelia reached across the desk to pat the back of Kathy's hand. "Mrs. Booker, I'm the only person you've shared this with?"

Kathy nodded. "At first I intended to go to the Maythorn police station, but having watched you on television you seemed so impassioned to bring Ellie and her friend home. That prompted me to come here first."

"So only you, your husband and I are privy to their destination?"

She nodded again. "Yes."

Expression thoughtful, Amelia nibbled her bottom lip while gazing toward the unadorned wall behind her visitor. Once her thoughts were collected she blinked and focused on the woman. "For now I think we should keep it that way."

Kathy blinked next. "You...you don't want to alert the police?"

Head energetically shaking from left to right, Amelia leaned forward and linked her fingers atop the desk. "Not at this time. What could happen if we did that? There could be a leak. Someone could experience loose lips, which might result in this vital information reaching the media. Russell Smock, the lead officer on this case has a cousin named Sunshine Fairchild who is a reporter with the Daily Maythorn and--"

Kathy gasped. "I've heard of her! Read the article she wrote about you." It occurring to her that the article had been most unfavorable where the prosecutor was concerned she adopted an apologetic expression.

Amelia barely swallowed a groan. She detested that article and wished it were possible to gather every existing copy, toss them into a large fireplace and strike a match. "Then you should know she's an avid supporter of Ms. Temple and Ms. Mackintosh. Please keep this to yourself--Ms. Fairchild told me she's been in contact with them." Watching the other woman's widening eyes she nodded.

"Even if the police choose to keep those girls destination a secret Detective Smock could reveal it to his cousin and there isn't a doubt in my mind she'll give them a heads up. Even if they never call her again she could easily write another article containing the information you just shared with me. If that happens I bet every dollar in my bank account those girls will give Ohio a wide berth. Our lead will be dead and we could lose them forever."

"So what do we do?" Asked if her husband was aware she had chosen to reveal where the young fugitives were going thanks to his assistance she shook her head in the negative. Kathy imagined if Nicholas had the smallest inkling she intended to tell the truth he wouldn't let her out his sight.