Fly or Die -35-

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

Joanne felt like they were an old married couple as they stood in front of the bathroom mirror dressed in pajamas and brushing their teeth. She smiled with the toothbrush in her mouth rather liking the idea of Robyn being her longtime spouse. Mrs. Robyn Dash has a lovely ring to it. She softly chuckled. Or Mrs. Robyn Roundtree-Dash if she would prefer.

Then Joanne shook her head. Already fantasized about them being married and they hadn't even graduated high school yet. Plus there was the small matter of them technically still just being friends. Sure there was a chaste kiss here and there, they cuddled like crazy, but nothing more had occurred, which she was fine with. Robyn was worth proceeding with care.

Her roommate had been quiet for most of the evening and Joanne just noticed her standing there bits of toothpaste stuck to the corners of her mouth as she thoughtfully stared toward the sink. So involved was she with whatever those thoughts were she failed to hear Joanne calling her name (well, her latest nickname) until the fourth utterance.

"Yes?"

"What's wrong, Goose?"

"Nothing." As Joanne's concern mounted Robyn rinsed both her toothbrush and her mouth. She could feel those electric eyes watching her. "Seriously, I'm fine, Jo. Just thinking about this essay due on Monday." Asked what essay she stumbled over her reply just enough for Joanne to realize she was lying.

"Want to tell me the truth now?"

"Not really."

Hurrying to rinse her own toothbrush and mouth, Joanne swiped a towel across the lower half of her face before flipping the light switch and following Robyn out the bathroom. She had just decided she would badger her until she received an adequate answer. Either that or until Robyn threw her out the poolhouse. Even when she heard a faint growl she persisted. The glare didn't stop her either.

Standing toward the middle of their bedroom Robyn turned around to face her. "Jo, would you please leave me alone?"

"No. I care about you too much. Please let me help."

The glare vanishing upon that reply Robyn sighed. "Just knowing that you care is a tremendous help." She indicated the bed. "Let's go to sleep."

"No one underneath this roof is getting any sleep until you and I talk. What's going on with Ellie? And don't tell me nothing because I'll know that's complete bullshit. Something changed when you picked her up for school yesterday. What was it?"

"Her brother forced her to break up with Cara." The words tumbled from her mouth so quickly they should have tripped over one another. Knowing Joanne would ask for further information she already had it prepared. "He thinks Cara is a bad influence with the drug dealing, beating or threatening to beat people up and whatnot so he threatened her." When Joanne's eyes fearfully widened she hurried to explain. "Not physically, but with a possible prison sentence." Pulling her roommate along with her, they sat on the side of her bed while Robyn told her everything she knew about Jeff's threats and proof against Cara and her supplier and friend Rafe.

"That son of a bitch." Anger having replaced the fear Joanne glanced toward the phone. Cara had to know the truth. Despite Joanne attempting to talk some sense into her earlier she was probably at home curled up in bed thinking Ellie didn't love her when in fact she loved her so much she released her to protect her from the law.

"You can't call her."

"What?"

"I saw you looking at the phone and can practically read your thoughts. Don't do it, Jo."