HD ~ Chapter Twenty-One

July 8 (11:46 pm)

Kesha's new song is amazing. Let me start out by saying that. I'm a big fan of hers and I'm so glad she's releasing music again. I've waited so long for this. I saw her in concert when I was in high school and it was one of my favorite concerts I've been to. 

I think what makes this song so great is that it's different than any of her others. It's raw and real. I listened to it on repeat while writing. I can't sing for shit, but I love singing along to it.

Anyway, here's our next installment of Her Daughter.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Felicity

My mother entered her office ten minutes later. I was surprised to see my uncle and my grandmother file in behind her. My Uncle Anthony was my mother's beta and she most likely wanted him here so he could see if I had any useful information on Cole's rebellion group. If they wanted to know something about a potential attack, I wouldn't have anything for them. If Cole had anything in mind, he wouldn't have been planning it with me around.

I was glad to see that my grandmother was here, though I doubted my mother went out of her way to invite her. Nana was here for my benefit and I was incredibly grateful for that. She'd always been my biggest advocate since I was younger.

Nana walked over to sit down on the couch next to me. She embraced me in a quick hug and then turned to face my mother who took a seat on the couch across from us. My uncle had a file in his hands as he sat next to my mother.

"I've never seen you act like this before, Felicity," my mother said to me as she leaned forward and rested her forearms on her knees. She clasped her hands together. "What happened to make you this way."

I frowned at her. "You mean what made me stand up for myself while my own sister called me a whore?" I asked. "I mean, you weren't doing anything to defend me."

My mother's mouth twitched in contempt. For my new-found courage, I'm sure. "That's not what I'm talking about," she said with a sigh. "You were going to attack your thirteen-year-old sister. That isn't who you are."

"Then who am I?"

Clarity glanced over at my uncle, who looked back at her with a strange expression. "I don't know anymore," she told me as she turned back to face me. "But you are still my daughter."

"I'm not sure that I ever was."

Nana rubbed a hand up and down my back. "Honey-"

I shook my head. "You were ashamed of me," I said softly. "You thought I was weak and gave up on training me. You don't trust me to lead this pack. Any chance I had at being strong was crushed a long time ago because you never believed in me. That made it easy for me to stay alive when I was with them."

My mother looked guilty as I spoke and I was glad. It meant that she at least had some remorse for creating an atmosphere where I felt like I didn't belong. Yet, when I mentioned my time away from here, her attention focused back on me. "They were going to kill you?"

I met my mother's eyes and tried to decide how genuine her concern was. She was acting strange to me and I found it hard to believe that she was shocked that my life was threatened. "If they knew I was your daughter, they would have killed me," I stated. "To them, losing a child made them think that you would be weakened. Losing a niece would have angered you and there is power in anger."

My mother nodded and glanced over at Uncle Anthony. "You told them you were his daughter," she said.

"They believed it because there was little physical relation between us and absolutely no personality similarities," I said as I wrung my hands in my lap.