chapter fifty

unhinged

This bed could make anyone a morning person. Her eyes still closed, she stretched with a smile.

"This bed is amazing. What in the world is it made from?"

Jess opened her eyes so she could find him in the room.

He sat in the chair near his screens, but he'd been watching her.

"For the last hour, I've been trying to figure out rather I should wake you and kiss you or watch you sleep."

"You obviously went with the wrong choice."

"I disagree. You belong in my bed, Jessalynn."

"Umm, something we both agree on. Going to give it to me?" She noticed how tired he looked. "You stayed up all night because of me? There was room for both of us."

"I only got in a little while ago. The advisors are distraught. There was a whole big thing. Plus, it was best not to join you. I still do not know if I trust myself around you yet."

He rose, went to the counter, and started choosing some breakfast.

"What happen last night?"

"For me? What usually happens when I am with you."

"I noticed. What happened to everyone else."

Suddenly, she was standing in front of him.

"I believe I deserve a proper good morning, Jessalynn."

Smiling, she stood on her tip toes and kissed him softly. "Good morning, Kellum."

"I also believe I am still due a proper welcome home, as well."

She grinned. "Now you're just being bossy." But she kissed him anyway because it felt like it had been ages since she'd been in his arms.

"I hated being away from you." He vowed as he held her close.

"You were gone less than twenty-four hours." She reminded him even though she felt the same.

"It was the distance. There was too much distance between us."

"Could you have popped back if you wanted to?"

"From that distance? I believe I could have but I could not have left my people alone unless it was an emergency."

"I can see the trip helped you. You and Julian seemed warm and cozy."

He pushed some plates with cut up fruit her way. Then handed her an ice latte. When she looked at him, he winked.

"It was not easy to accomplish. First I had to find all the ingredients then I had to find a certain machine to make it."

She was too busy moaning to reply. Not just an ice vanilla latte but the best ice vanilla latte she's ever had.

"Kell, I do believe I love you."

He took her latte away. Pushed the plates away, sat her on the counter, and took her chair. Then gave her a slow, perfect kiss.

Holding her tight, he laid his head on her lap.

Smiling, Jess ran her fingers through his hair. "My poor baby. Why don't you crawl into bed and get some rest? I'll come back later."