chapter thirtyseven

Start from the beginning

The guy chuckled while Kellum looked him over. "I am unsure."

"She knows I'd die for her. Kill for her. She knows I'm not going anywhere. Ever. No matter what, I've got her back. I'm one of the lucky ones, I got to meet her before her dad ran out on them. Back when it was easier for her to let people in."

"Do you want her?"

Julian looked at her.

Even across the room, they could hear her laying into one of the guys playing with her.

"I have her. Always will." He looked back at Kellum. "Do you want her?"

"Yes."

"I've watched her the last couple of days. You have a chance if you don't screw it up."

Kellum stepped closer, his voice lowered. "She loves you so she can keep you but make no mistake about it. She is mine. Not yours."

Julian looked sick as he checked to make sure Jessalynn was still across the room.

"Are you insane? Comments like that will get you nowhere with her. Even suggest, that you're letting her keep me and she'll try to bash your face in. Have you listened to nothing I've said? I'm already hers. You don't get Jess without me. No if, ands, or buts. Group package. Let her? Man, if I didn't like you, I'd tell her that one and sit back and watch the show."

"You are like a brother?"

He winced. "God, no."

"Best friend?"

"Definitely closer. Why do you have to label us? It will give you a headache. You only have to worry about me if you screw up."

"I am not worried about you. She is not meant for you."

"If it makes you feel better, I know that. She knows it too."

One of the guys from the stage walked to the group at the table. Laughing, he threw his arm around Jess. Kellum's hands tighten into fists

"She doesn't mind some jealousy. Thinks it's hot. Just make sure it doesn't touch me. If it does, she'll give you the boot. Now that guy, yeah, she's half in love with him, but don't worry about it too much. He's a musician. She will never, ever get serious with a musician. That's why her dad left; you know? Dezrick has his name. Look him up. He went big. God, I hope he's dead. Do not, I repeat do not, ever bring him up to her. If and when she wants to, then she'll bring it up. That's not who she was kissing anyway. Want to know who?"

He went on before Kellum could answer. "I'm not saying. He's unimportant. Just remember what I said. She can handle some heat just leave me out of the pot and you'll be fine."

"I will take that into consideration."

"Smart man. I've known her along time. A lot of whippings under my belt. Don't get me wrong, you're doing good on your own. I've never seen someone get under her skin like you have. I worried about it never happening."

The other man was forgotten when Jess walked by to visit with the girls.

She tried to look stern as she passed but she was not able to pull it off so instead she stuck her tongue out.

Julian was shaking his head when Kellum finally got back around to looking at him. "Poor, dude. You've got it bad. That's good to see, my man. You have my blessing. Just so long as you know that if you hurt her and she kills you, I'll be the one that pisses on you and helps her hide the body. Man up, she's coming. She's in a better mood since her fight with the guys so don't blow it."