[Reinhardt X Reader]- Attack

Requested by->

@PlasticTaste_

Battles could be tough. People constantly were faced with loosing their lives, their loves, and their limbs. As a medic, it was your job to help when those things happened.

You'd saved lives, you'd saved limbs, but couldn't really account for saving loves. Relationships were a risky thing to invest in when lives were so easy to loose. If anyone dare devote themselves to a relationship, they had to be prepared for the fact that their partner may die, and nothing could stop that. (Of course, excluding a certain winged someone.)

In your years of working with Overwatch, you'd seen far too many families torn apart by death and violence to want one of your own anyways. It would lead to sadness. You could not let yourself get attached— you had a job to do. You served the people. You could not allow for distractions of your occupation. You didn't need a lover in the person you'd sew up, nor a romantic commitment in someone bleeding out in your arms. Everyone would be your patient, and if something happened to them, your grief would not linger. Though you did this calculatingly, you remained friendly towards your patients. You would smile and laugh with them, and if they were to die, you'd pretend they'd been discharged. You couldn't handle another heartbreak after the death of your parents.

This way of life is what kept you safe in Overwatch. Though the intention of halting as much death as you could was your primary focus when you'd joined the medical career, now you simply ran from the emotional hurt that came with it.  Death was inevitable when one's forte was battle.

Even as you lived day-to-day with this resolve, it did little to stop your unfortunately keen heart around one of your coworkers. Reinhardt.

He was a large man, standing at 7'8 feet (2.23m) tall. He was the tallest on the team, and that reason made him rather intimidating to talk to, despite his friendly personality. Though most of the team didn't hang out with you due to your usually quiet nature, Reinhardt constantly went out of his way to brighten your day. His grin was small compared to the rest of him, but whenever it appeared, it felt bigger than Earth to you. It made your heart beat faster, your palms sweat, and the constant need to shift from foot-to-foot arise in you.

You couldn't help but crush on him. The blush that appeared alongside him was something you couldn't control, and you wouldn't fight it so long as you could still bear to part with him should something happen. Of course, you always told yourself you could.

You'd be fine.

But now, as you stood next to a white hospital bed stained red, tightly clutching your clip board and listening to the quiet beeps of the heart monitor, you knew the man had grown too much on you for that to be true. 

An ambush by Talon had put Rein critically injured into your care, and as of now, it was unknown if he were to survive. The entirety of the medical bay had been cleared for you and your patient. Only his shallow breaths, your anxious and sudden inhales and exhales, the beeps of the heart monitor, and the distant wailing of an alarm that signaled that the crew was to be on full defense occupied the sterile air. Reinhardt hadn't been but a short distance from the ship when he was attacked, and that could mean a full ambush by Talon any minute. The crew was scared, and you were too. They feared for their own safety, and you feared for Reinhardt's.

You couldn't let this man die.

Yet, as you stood next to his large form cloaked in grief and worry, you knew it was out of your hands if he expired. This realization hit you hard. You were not in control of this situation. Even if you wanted him to live, he may not.

Tears welled up in your eyes once again, and numbly you fell into a sit on the edge of the bed. The tears left you, and with a shaky breath, a sob escaped. You rubbed your eyes, ignoring the blood on your hands from patching him up. It was just you and the dying man, it wasn't like anyone could tease you.