Chapter 2

Unedited

Mira walked into school with Josh, his tall frame towered over her small one. His arm was still wrapped around her shoulders, which earned her a glare from any female within a mile radius. She rolled her eyes. You would think they'd know by now that she was only friends with him, but the rumor mill at Cresthill High was ever-going. And that wasn't going to change anytime soon.

Cresthill was a small town, just a tiny dot on the map in Vermont. They barely got visitors or new comers. The town was filled with supernatural beings, who liked to keep to their covens and packs. The point being, people got bored in Cresthill. They would always find a way to entertain themselves. Their favorite charades included gossiping about the latest scandals. The people of Cresthill were brutal to say the least if you were the subject of the gossip.

There were good things about Cresthill too.  The one thing Mira loved was the weather. It was ever changing and she felt more connected to nature with each passing season. Their Summers were pristine and Winter was frigid. Summer had always been her favorite season and the only thing Mira liked about Winter was the cute outfits she got to wear. In Cresthill, the temperatures at night and early mornings were crisp despite the season. Although, with powers like hers she never got cold.

The sound of Josh's phone pinging drew her from her thoughts. He let his arm fall to his side and his brow furrowed as he read a text. Pulling her close again, he whispered into her ear, "I have to go away again. Two weeks this time. My family's insisting, they said it's urgent..." he trailed off.

Mira pouted. She hated when Josh left town. He always got called out for "family emergencies" whatever that meant. It made her feel like the loneliest person in the world. Sure, she had other friends, but they were all witches. She didn't have an edge on them like she did with Josh. He made her feel like one of a kind.

Also, when Josh left she always felt like she was being watched. Which was violating... and creepy.

"I know it sucks." Josh said, kissing the top of her forehead, "but I have to go."

"When?" She sighed.

Josh frowned, he hated leaving Mira. It was the worst part of leaving, he didn't care about anything else. "Tomorrow."

It was too soon. He had just come back from one last month.

"I'll make it up to you and take you out before I leave. We have all day together." This brought a smile to her face. Nights out with Josh were always fun. She never got bored in his company.

"Deal, my man." She chirped. Josh rolled his eyes at her over-enthusiastic self. She was always easy to please, but he wouldn't tell her that. He didn't want to get kicked in the balls for the second time that day.

⚜️

They were in 8th period psychology. Mira glanced at Josh, only to find him drooling on his desk. So much for spending all day together. She rolled her eyes, knowing he'd be over later to copy her notes. She didn't need his constant attention, but it would be nice if he didn't fall asleep in every class. She always had to find someone else to talk to other than her narcoleptic best friend. How he maintained a B average was beyond her understanding.

When the bell ran, Josh jumped from his desk, tripped on his shoe lace and landed on the floor. Mira let out a laugh and Josh scowled as he pulled himself up, wiping the excess drool (that the floor didn't already get) from his face.

Humans. Mira thought. So clumsy.

"Stop laughing." He whined, as they walked to her locker. Mira couldn't help her fit of giggles. Josh's face was priceless the whole way down. She just wished she had caught it on video. "If you don't stop laughing we aren't going go cart racing."