The Calm Before the Storm

Draco looked at the shitty house with distaste. "You call this a house? I have seen broom cupboards bigger than that." So perhaps that was an exaggeration but he really thought that the Flamels would be living in a nicer place. The burrow was bigger than this! That right there had to be saying something. They had a giant island for crying out loud. Anyone with an island could surely afford a bigger place than this.

            Harry wasn't sure so sure about the cupboard comment, he would know. But it was rather small. His mind had pictured a giant castle or at least a mansion. This... this was a villain let down. This wasn't even something Voldemort would have done.

            Finneus rolled his eyes at the comment. Such a snobby pureblood thing to say. "There are levels underneath the ground. My parents don't need much living space. They keep the couple rooms that you can see to themselves and everything below them is their torture cha-- er their work rooms."

            Harry curled his mouth up in distaste. The Flamels torture people underneath their house? Sick. They couldn't have made a separate place? It was probably some sick pleasure at knowing their victims were somewhere beneath their beds.

            Draco hummed in thought. It was nice knowing that the place was bigger than it looked. Because he had seriously been doubting the validity of the Flamels based off of their home. 

            The closer they got to the house, they realized that something was making a noise. Harry frowned as he looked around, trying to figure out what it could be.

            "Ignore that. My parents like to call it their watch dog." Finneus shook his head at the curious looks and pointed off towards the side of the house.

            Draco narrowed his eyes expecting to see an actual dog but he had to do a double take. There in the shade, underneath a tree was not a dog. No. "It's a Canis." He said rather surprised. He could feel the confusion through the bond and he looked to Harry. "They are odd little creatures. They are similar in appearance to a squid but they don't spend time in the water. They have tentacles but instead of two they have four. They rely on their eye sight heavily. They don't have a sense of smell like a lot of creatures. There are two little glands below their eyes that they use to somewhat simulate a sense of smell. They also do not hear either. They can feel the vibrations around them. But don't let that fool you into thinking they are soft or vulnerable creatures. If they lay a single tentacle on you, you are screwed. They can crush the life out of a victim in seconds."

            Harry was looking at the little creature in surprise. The Canis wasn't very big. If Draco hadn't told him to not underestimate it, he probably would have. It just looked so cute. He squinted at the little thing and then frowned. "Are their eyes supposed to look like that?" Harry wondered.

            Draco turned to look at what Harry was seeing and gaped before whirling around to stare at Finneus. "That one is blind!" He said in outrage. Without its eyes the poor thing was out of all of its defensive senses. Even the little glands below the eyes were gouged out. The poor creature would be useless in a fight.

            Finneus winced slightly. "Yes. My parents wanted to know what would happen if you took away its sight, since it is the only sense that they really have besides touch and taste."

            Harry dropped his mouth open in horror. Why would they have done something so cruel to an animal? What in the world had the poor thing done to them? "Why do they have it out here guarding the house. If it can't see, smell or hear then how in the hell is it going to defend anything?"