Sephtis and Sphinxes

At first glance the forest appeared to just be a normal forest but Harry wasn't so sure anymore. It looked more like an odd cross between a forest and a jungle. But Harry was positive that the vines were watching him. There was an odd menacing hiss coming from some of them.

            'Nothing to eat. Typical. If Cyprus ate my portion than I am feeding her to the thing in the water.'

            Harry stopped walking and looked around wildly for whatever just spoke. "What the hell was that?" Harry whispered.

            Finneus and Draco shared a confused look before staring at Harry. "Love, I didn't hear anything." Draco told him reassuringly as he squeezed Harry's hand.

            Harry was not reassured.

            'What is that putrid odor? Smells worse than Cyprus on a good day. Better avoid that or I will have to dip in the water.'

            Harry frowned as he listened to the voice. He squinted trying to dissect the sound. He nodded to himself when he was able to detect hissing.

            'Hello?' Harry asked, still looking all around for the snake. He smiled when an orange head popped up off of the nearest tree. The snake was beautiful. A dark blue mixed in with a coral color, an orange tail and head. A tongue poked out.

            'Who said that? I smell no snakes. Only stench and humans.'

            Draco shivered at the parseltongue. He was positive that it was his weakness. He didn't even bother hiding his desire. Harry knew what it did to him.

            Harry grinned at the lust in the bond but didn't take his eyes off of the snake in front of him.

            'I said that.' Harry told the snake. He knew that snakes used their tongues to smell, so he lifted his hand up.

            "That is a Blue Malaysian Coral Snake." Finneus whispered. "Deadly." He added for good measure. Of course Potter could talk to snakes. The boy had managed to touch a false stone, kill Voldemort, visit the afterlife and take in a stray hellhound.  Nothing should really surprise him anymore.    

            'Of course I am deadly. Idiot sack of water.' Harry snorted in humor. If he hadn't already had a thing for snakes than this would have done it for him.

            'My name is Harry. What about you?' Harry watched the snake look at him steadily.

            'Sephtis. That is my name. Don't mistake my response for fondness. I still might kill you. I am undecided. I have never come across one who can speak the language.'

            Harry bit his lip at the sassy snake. 'Who is Cyprus?' Harry wondered.

            'My mother.' Harry arched a brow. The snake hadn't been very nice when it spoke of his mother.

            'Why? You haven't killed her, have you?' Harry chuckled at the hope he could detect in the question.

            'I am afraid not. You are the first snake that we have come across.' He thought he saw the snake posture slightly. As if it was proud of that.

            'Than what good are you?'

            Harry was about to respond but Sephtis stuck his tongue out and made an odd noise.