Hiding in the Dark

Start from the beginning

"Whoa...And is she really that kinky?" I asked. Gray made a sly smile and licked the side of his lip. He motioned us to come closer to  him, and whispered, "After school, she always wants to do is make out in the pool." I blushed wildly and grabbed a pillow and squeezed it. Elfman practically gave Gray a five-star and exclaimed, "'Atta boy! Scoring a swimmer and a gymnast I see!"

"You're a lucky man Gray," I snickered. As we continued to gradually talk about Gray's newest relationship, I couldn't help myself but to think back at my problem with Lucy, despite how hard I tried. But all that was on my mind was Lucy, Lucy, and Lucy.

When I arrived at the hospital a few hours later, I met up with Mirajane at the front desk. She gave me a welcoming smile. "Hey Mira."

"Natsu, what a surprise! Are you here for Lucy?"

I shook my head. "Can I talk to you in private?" Her face looked confused, but she nodded anyways. We stepped into the office that her and Dr. Laxus apparently shared. I noticed a picture of the two of them drinking at a local bar, apparently having a fun time. Mira's head was resting on Laxus's shoulder, and he wrapped his arm around her waist. "Looks like you two are beginning to get a little cozy, aren't ya?"

Mirajane saw what I was looking at and blushed. "Yeah, I guess. We started hanging out a little more around Christmas night after Lisanna went to some Christmas party at a friend's. I was at a bar, he happened to be at the same bar. We talked, we laughed, we drank, and one thing let to another....he kissed me."

"Gaah! My virgin ears! All this adult talk is too impure for my innocent mind!" I joked. She threw a box of rubber gloves at me breathed, "That's funny coming from you. Now, what seems to be the problem, Natsu?"

My silly grin slowly turned to a serious frown. I sat down on the chair in front of the desk. I began to fiddle with my fingers through nervousness. "Is Lucy getting any better?"

Mira frowned. She sat down on the chair and was no longer my godmother, but my girlfriend's nurse. "The chemotherapy is slowing the cancer down, but it isn't killing it. She is beginning to show quite a lot of side effects of the treatment: insomnia, taste changes, headaches, hair loss, weight loss, nausea, shortness in breath, and fatigue."

"Why hasn't anyone found a cure? I mean, I know Levy's brother has!"

Mirajane sighed. "What Lucas McGarden found was a cure for brain and breast cancer. The differences between the brain, the breast and the heart in terms of treatment and medicine is huge. The only benifit of all this is that Lucy has been bumped up National Transplant List."

A spark of hope ignited within me. "So Lucy has a chance!"

"She's not at the top of the list, Natsu. There are still a lot of people above her who still needs to get a transplant, heart or not." 

"Well, what are her limitations? What can't she do compared to Erza or Levy?" Mirajane looked through Lucy's file, which was pretty thick since she's been here for the longest time. Mira jabbed her finger at a page and said, "She can eat a limited amount of fatty foods. She can't exercise a whole lot, probably a light jog or walking-"

"Well," I interrupted, feeling a burning sensation in my cheeks. "What about...sexual activity?" I couldn't believe I had just asked my godmother that. This was also Lucy's aunt too! She raised her eyebrow and folded her arms. "Natsu Thaddeus Dragneel, did you just-"

"You're my girlfriend's nurse in this office, not my godmother or her aunt!" I said in my defense. She gave me a slight growl and sighed. "No, she can't have sex, otherwise it could make her heart beat too fast and increase the growth rate of the tumor."