53 ~ A Bit of Concern

The next morning when you get up, you feel a lot better.

Well. Physically better. The question of morality still remains. You tell yourself it doesn't matter, because you're not going to kill Flowey, but it still twists in your mind.

You're careful to distract yourself, though, whenever you get thinking about it too hard. You don't want to be sick again.

And, honestly, this whole thing brings up another question of morality, specifically, of Gaster's morality.

He said he would do it. He would kill Flowey. He said he would consider it a mercy. What sort of morality is that? Does he think that's the 'right thing'?

Is he going to think you're a bad person because you're not going to kill Flowey? Because leaving Flowey isn't the 'right thing'?

And who says killing is an act of mercy? What kind of a person is Gaster? How could he be like that?

... What made him like that?

Because you refuse to believe that anyone can just inherently believe killing is okay. So something had to make him like that, something had to have happened to him, something...

When you go downstairs for breakfast, you find Asgore and Toriel (Asgore left last night, but apparently came back this morning) are there, in the kitchen, talking... about Gaster. So you stop by the doorframe, not wanting to interrupt.

"-not that surprising." Toriel is saying. "Sans and Papyrus have said that sometimes they dream about him. In fact, it seems like they are well on their way to remembering all the big details, if not everything completely. But then, they are pieces of him, so it makes sense that they would remember more easily. That doesn't mean we shouldn't remember a few fragments, too, though."

"Yes, but..." Asgore replies slowly. There's a nervousness in his voice, and a sorrow. "Everything I've heard from the brothers is happy. All good memories."

"And yours is not?"

"... No."

There's a moment of silence.

"... Asgore. Tell me."

"Tori..."

Another moment of silence, and you can imagine Toriel giving Asgore that don't-Tori-me,-Dreemurr look.

"Toriel," Asgore amends, "It's... very... violent."

"Asgore. I am an adult. I can handle hearing about a little blood."

Asgore heaves a sigh, and you know he's accepted his defeat. It's impossible to argue with Toriel. "... It was in the war. You remember the battle when... When my father and I fought all the humans, and in the end, he-- he didn't--..."

You suddenly feel really bad. Asgore lost his dad in the war. You...

You never knew that.

"Yes. I remember." Toriel responds gently. "Was Gaster there?"

"... yes. He-... yes. I just remember one moment... Standing on the battlefield, with Dad leaning on my shoulder, and seeing him standing there... there was so much blood, Toriel. Dripping off his hands, splattered across his skull, soaking his clothes... those clothes, Sans' jacket and Papyrus's scarf, and they're just-..." Asgore heaves another sigh, and it almost sounds like he's getting choked up. "... He raises his hand, and summons his Blasters, weapons like nothing I've ever seen. And-... And, oh, Toriel, he kills them. All of them, just obliterates all of the humans... and he's laughing. Like-... like he's enjoying it. He-..." Asgore cuts himself off.

You feel a little sick again. Imagining Gaster like that, slaughtering people left and right, and laughing while he does it...

What kind of a person is Gaster?!

"... I'm sorry." Toriel says. Despite the situation, your Soul does a little dance in your chest at the softness in Toriel's voice. She's being so kind to Asgore...! You can't help but hope they'll get back together.

There's another long moment of silence, and you decide that you should probably stop eavesdropping now.

So you plaster a smile over your concerns about Gaster, and step into the kitchen.

Toriel and Asgore both look up as you come in.

"Good morning!" You say cheerily.

Toriel gives you a small smile. "Someone's happy today. Any reason why?"

Internally, you cringe just a little. You're not actually that happy. You're just trying not to show you were listening. You don't have a reason for the smile on your face.

... Well, you suppose honesty is the best route, here. "Nope!" You reply to her question.

... Mostly honest, anyway.

Toriel laughs a little, but before she can say anything else, the kitchen timer rings. "Oh! Breakfast is ready!" She hurries over to the oven, and pulls out a pan of muffins that smell absolutely amazing.

A few minutes later, Toriel takes a pair of muffins and puts each on a plate. Then she brings them over to the table and sets one plate in front of you, and the other in front of Asgore.

And now your smile is genuine. "Actually, I do have a reason to be happy!" You say.

"Oh?"

"Yeah! You two are back together again!"

It's hard to tell through all the fur, but you could swear that they both blush.

"O-oh, no, Frisk!" Toriel protests. "We-we aren't- we're not-"

"But you're friends again!" You interrupt. "And that's good."

Asgore smiles a little tentatively. "It is good."

Toriel relents with a sigh. "Yes, I suppose it is."

You just grin and pick up your muffin.

And when Gaster comes into the kitchen a little while later, you even manage to keep from showing anyone just how nervously sick you feel.

§

A/N

I had something really awesome to say here, but goshdangit, I completely forgot whatever it was.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoyed it! Comments and votes are my Favorite Things, and every notification I get makes my day!