prologue

"Did you see that?!"

you hop from your spot on the floor to the large window, staring in awe at the evening sky.
Mother laughs from her spot on the couch.
"What did you see, love?" She takes a sip from her hot chocolate which was a substance as dark and warm as her complexion.
"It was a shooting star, mommy," You turned your small frame to look at her while she adjusted her blanket.
"Mhm. So did you make a wish?"
"Of course not, mommy,"
She looked up from her mug, intrigued by your answer.
"And why not?"
"Stars can only fall where they shoot. A wish wouldn't work, because the star already has our fortune written,"
"You're very practical, aren't you?" Mother says giggling again. She thinks nothing of your logic, just the imaginative mind of a seven-year-old child. A little girl who had wondered about the world while simultaneously figuring it out.
"But it makes sense," you smile.
"Wanna know what else makes sense? You going to bed." Mother jokes and you whine.
"Five more minutes, please mommy! It looks like a meteor shower's starting,"
"Oh alright. Five minutes only,"

As a little girl, you spent nights trying to count every star you could see. You spent more time when you grew older, gazing out the window trying to continue where the number left off.

But I would lose count once I fell for you.