12 | Jason: The Aftermath

Start from the beginning

The man nodded again and left, leaving us to stand in the foyer of the mansion, looking incredibly small and confused.

Footsteps pounded along the floor and Jason appeared, running from around the corner. He looked excited to see me, but his face fell when he saw the other girls with me.

"I see that you brought reinforcements."

"And for good reason." Jess snapped.

Jason looked defeated and led us towards a large living room off to the side of the house. We sat down carefully, Rachel and Farah on one sofa, Jess and I on the other, and Jason on an armchair across from all of us.

"I just want to know why you did that." I said, figuring I would get it over with quickly. "I want to know why you came over and had a wonderful time at my house for dinner, told me you loved me, and then snuck into my house and robbed me."

Jason was silent for a moment, so I continued.

"I mean, it's not like you need the money from selling Lincoln Carter's stuff. You're probably just as loaded as I am, so I don't see why you would feel the need to commit a crime against someone you said you loved."

"Look," Jason spoke before I could get any more words out, "It was a dare. My friends thought it was hilarious that I was dating you, since they think your dad's music is lame, and they wanted me to snatch some stuff for them as, like, a trophy of our relationship. I thought it was funny."

"You thought it was funny?" Jess raised her voice as I put my hand on her arm, warning her to calm down.

"Yeah, I did." Jason retorted, raising his eyebrow. "It was like a prank. I probably would have returned the stuff eventually. And it's not like you would have even noticed it was missing."

"We definitely would have." I replied. "I don't know what you dropped when the police got there, but the stuff in your pockets were things that were important to our family."

"Well, I didn't know that." Jason rolled his eyes, "So sorry about that. But I don't see the big deal. You caught me, you got your stuff back, so who cares?"

"Who cares?" I exclaimed, trying my hardest not to raise my voice to a level of hysteria. "I care! I care because I told you that I loved you that night. I haven't said that to anyone before. I've felt it before, but I've never verbalized it. You were the first person I'd ever said that too, and you said it back. Why did you have to turn around and do something like this?"

"Wow, you're such a girl." Jason shook his head, "Saying "I love you" doesn't really have to mean anything. We were just having fun, why are you taking everything so seriously?"

I shut my mouth and took a deep breath. I couldn't see straight. And I refused to start crying in front of someone like him.

"I'm leaving now." I said quietly, getting up from off the sofa and walking towards the door, followed closely by the other three girls. Jess opened the door for me and the three of them stomped out towards the car.

I turned around, looking at Jason's face one last time. He was staring after me nonchalantly, watching as if a sibling's friend was leaving his house. Not a girl he had confessed love to.

"I hope you get locked up." I snarled before slamming the door behind me.

<><><>

"So let's start wedding planning!"

The first words I heard when I walked in the door were not something I had been expecting after the afternoon I had just had.

"What?" I called out to my house at large, walking towards the living room, where three women were gathered on the sofa, only two of which I recognized.

"Not you." My sister snapped, turning to look at me. "You're not even dating anyone."

"Thanks." I rolled my eyes. Vera was hardly ever in a bad mood, but when she was, she was an absolute nightmare. "I didn't even know you set a date yet."

"We did." My mother spoke, "One year and four months away. June 24th."

"Congrats." I nodded at my sister before she turned to continue talking to a woman I assumed to be the wedding planner. "I'm glad everything's going well."

My mother left the living room and followed me into the kitchen as I went to grab a bottle of water before heading to the gym in the basement. I hadn't worked out since the incident with Jason, and it was starting to reflect on my mood.

"So how was Jessica's house? Did you say hi to her parents for us?"

"Yeah." I nodded. "They said that they miss going on double dates with you and Dad."

My mother shook her head.

"I feel awful that his work has kept us both so busy these past few months. Next time that you're over there, tell them that we'll plan something soon."

"Will do." I nodded, trying to sneak around her.

"Are you okay about--"

"I don't want to talk about it." I interrupted her. "I don't want to think about it, I don't want to even remember it happened at all. I'll be fine eventually, and for now, that's enough."

My mother nodded, sadness falling over her face.

"Alright."

I walked off to the gym, trying to get my mother's face out of my head. But I couldn't shake the expression I had just seen; it was so sad, so defeated. Something was different.

But I had far too much going on in my life to figure out what was wrong with her.

A/N: So this morning I went to the dermatologist because I've been out of my acne medicine for like three years (no exaggeration) and I was going to also tell them about this weird thing on my foot that I'd had for a while. So I go in and they prescribe my acne medicine and everything, and then he looks at my foot and says that it looks like a benign tumor (so not cancerous. I had to ask what benign meant) and he wanted to send it in for a biopsy. SO HE HAD TO SHAVE IT OFF MY FOOT and holy crap it hurt so bad when they were numbing me, I was about to cry. But I made it and now my foot is bandaged and I have to go back there in three weeks.

I literally just thought I was getting acne medicine.

BUT ANYWAY only one more guy until THE ONE (or is he?) for Sam! She deserves real love by now, I'm terrible for doing this to her.

And what's up with Olivia (her mother)? Thoughts?

-Katherine