A Terrible Job

Group project...whoop! The three teenagers looked at her - awaiting her lead.

"Well, aint this a barrel of monkeys," Briana commented – twiddling her thumbs. Andy gave her a scathing look and rudely pulled out his phone, twisting away from her in his seat to fake text. She sent pleading looks across to Maria to save the situation. Maria shrugged, casting furtive embarrassed glances across at Klaus. Klaus – her last hope.

Klaus cleared his throat.

"We could divide the work between us and each work on our own segments?" He suggested. Andy grunted in assent.

"Emily, why don't you research the company's origins and history?"

"Sounds good to me."

"Maria, do you want to cover the sales and marketing departments?"

Maria offered a very soft 'ok'  - her ears turning pink. She caught Briana's scheming look and subtly shook her head – her bambi eyes wide and pleading. Briana grinned devilishly.

"That's a big chunk of the final presentation – why don't you two do that together?" Klaus quickly agreed – looking pleased at the idea. Briana watched the two more closely for the rest of the meeting – confidence in her hunch growing. Amply distracted by scheming  - she even forgot to be irritated by Andy.  In fact, having barely registered his existence the whole time - she nearly knocked him out with the door on leaving.

A couple of hours into her research and Briana had taken up the art of procrastination. She'd found an online game where you turned bushes into big bushes into trees into houses and was deeply committed when she was finally rescued by a call.

"Hello," she greeted happily, sitting down cross legged on the bed.

"Hi, this isn't a bad time is it?" Abel asked. 

"No, it's good. What's up?"

"I just wanted to hear your voice. We haven't met up in a while cos with how busy I've been."

"It's cool - I get it. Have you been taking care of yourself, at least? Eating proper meals?"

"Err."

"Just tell me the worst."

"I had peas and gravy yesterday. It was good – kind of like a soup." Briana hit her forehead. Well at least he'd had peas...he'd admitted once to passing a month without vegetables.

"Idiot." But she was smiling. He was so hopeless at life skills it at least gave her an excuse. "How about I come over this evening and cook you some real food?"

There was a knock on the door. "Oh hold on a sec. Come in!" Her eyes widened in alarm when Troy entered the room. She stiffened, her fingers tightening around her phone. "Y-yes?" She stammered. He hadn't come to the room in a long time.

"You're father wishes to see you."

"Now?" Troy arched a brow, surprised by her agitation but nodded stiffly. "Sorry - I've got to go. I'll call you later."

"Ok. I love you." Briana's heart fluttered in her chest but her gaze was locked with Troy's and her mouth turned dry.

"Yeah. Bye."

***

For the drive to Eros house, Troy sat in the back beside her.

"What are you doing?" She asked, as he clipped himself in.

"Your security has been increased." He nodded his head to the agent taking shotgun. "This is Xander Vaillant."

"Afternoon, miss," Xander spoke politely, "don't worry. Troy and I will keep you safe."