Pet | 7. The Challenge

"Fasten your seat belt." I heard Joshua mumbled as we got in his car. We just arrived at California like he planned to. There was a convoy behind us, making sure that we could arrive home safely.

I never thought that he'll take it seriously and he acted so fast that before I could take it back what I said, our parents were very looking forward to it.

I couldn't retreat anymore. This was it.

Thanks to me.

"You know that I'm not actually rushing the marriage, right?" I said annoyingly. I felt like he was teasing me. He knew well that was the crazy Mei who just did anything without thinking twice.

If he had his head straight, why would he push us on our death?

"Of course. You did that to intimidate Hyejeong." He said confidently, his eyes never left the road.

My mouth opened slightly. I wanted to complain and to rant.

"I'm sorry?" I said sarcastically.

"It's okay. Nobody is mad on you."

"W-why did we change, Joshua?" I stammered but the hardness of my voice remained tough. (A/n:what?)

"Change is constant. Will you still love even I'm not the Joshua you've been with since you were a kid?"

"I love you---"

"You're only saying that because your family restrained your freedom. If you can only see the whole world and what it's in it. You can find someone better than me." He pressed firmly. I sighed deeply. I lost again.

"Then, why didn't you decline when I asked you to marry me? If you did, Hyejeong wouldn't get mad on you or me."

"Hyejeong isn't mad on you. She's mad over me."

"Of course, she's mad on me. She's just faking that she wasn't." I rolled my eyes. How far he could ignore the signs that Hyejeong hates me.

"I told you, Hyejeong is an angel. Whatever you think of her is not her."

"You always side her." I whispered as I watched the road on my window. I felt hurt because he didn't believe me.

"I'm not siding her, Mei. I'm defending her and I will do the same if she does this to you." Joshua said softly as if he knew that he had hurt me.

"How will I know? When you're with me, we always talk about her. Argue about her."