Chapter 71

Sorry for the long wait everyone! the Great Gatsby rehearsals are INSANE! They take up so much time! So this is the only chapter this week, and I have an idea on the whole Marigold situation but I can't write anything till I have see the season finale (I'm crying just writing that I can't wait till October) so I know if I can use the idea I have in my head. Complicated stuff. But here's a chapter, thanks for being patient, and enjoy! <3

Azalea’s POV

“Is Lizzie ok, Carol?” the older woman sat beside me in one of the small bedrooms I had decided to sleep in, rubbing my back comfortingly. We had been in this small house we found in the woods for just a day, and something is off with Lizzie. It’s almost as if she has gone crazy. Mika and I were in the house taking care of baby Judith while Carol and Tyreese were getting some water, when Mika screamed out to her sister who went running for the train tracks. I stayed with the baby and when I looked out the window again, all of them were shooting down walkers that were coming up on the fence. And when they were dead, Lizzie starting crying.

“She’s alright, Azalea. Lizzie thinks she’s a strong girl but she doesn’t realize how weak she really is.”

“My sister isn’t weak, she’s just messed up,” Carol and I both looked over at the doorway to see Mika standing inside of it. I smiled as she walked over to us, sitting beside me on the bed. She was so nice, and I loved having someone kind of close to my age around me.

“If that’s the way you want to look at it, Mika, then go ahead,”

We just lay on the bed in silence, loving the fact that we could sleep in one place without being scared. But no matter how safe I felt here with the people who I now called my family, I needed Marigold with me.

“Mika?” I asked, looking over at her, “Do you miss your dad and your mom?”

“Of course I do, I miss them every day. What about you?”

“Yeah, I really do miss Marigold,”

“Marigold isn’t your mother, Azalea,” Carol reminded me, pulling me closer as a cold wind blew through the open window in the bedroom, “She found you and she may take care of you like a mother, but Mika means your real mother.”

“Oh,” I whispered, trying to think about my actual mother, “I don’t remember her much, only that I looked like her a little bit. She died during all of this, same with my dad. I didn’t really like my dad, though. He always yelled at me about stuff I didn’t do, and he always gave me these nasty red marks on my face.”

Carol looked stunned for a moment before turning my face up to hers. I could see tears welling up in her eyes as she looked down at me.

“Your daddy…hit you?” I nodded my head and Carol held me a bit closer to her. She obviously didn’t like that my daddy did that to me, cause her voice sounded as if she was going to cry.

“But do you miss them?”

I looked back at Mika, who was expecting an answer from me. I thought about the question for a moment before I finally answered her.