Chapter 29

Carl's POV

"Dad, I know you want me to go on this run with you and Michonne, but I can't leave Mari. What if she wakes up? And then there's Blue..." I railed off. My dad has been bugging me for an hour now because he wanted me to go on this run. I just couldn't leave Mari.

"Son, you've been by her side for 2 days now. Please," he begged.

I sighed, prepared to negotiate with him, "If I go, can I please go on a run somewhere? Get something for Judith?"

He nodded in agreement, saying he would wait outside. I grabbed my gun and put it in its holder. I turned to Mari and sighed, kissing her forehead lightly.

"I love you Mari, don't wake up without me," I whispered, walking out of the cell. I rolled my eyes when I saw a clearly hungry Blue. She hasn't eaten in 2 days, but I could care less. She and Andrea survived long enough in those woods with probably no food.

She lifted her head to look me in the eyes and I just glared right back, walking through the door and closing it behind me.

Marigold's POV

I stood in the middle of a field, a beautiful field. Every tree leaf was a powerful green, and so was the grass.

I was sitting one a rock that happened to be next to this small, beautiful pond. My body was covered in a hypnotizing corseted white lace dress. I knew it wast mine, it was My mothers. Blue had showed me it, said mom had worn it to her first ever fancy dinner when she had been my age.

"Oh my beautiful, graceful Marigold. Oh I wish I got to watch you grow up right by your side," a cool, enchanting voice said from behind me. I whipped my head around to see someone I had only met once in my life in front of me.

"Mom..." I whispered, the soft wind making my voice louder than it actually was. I ran over to her and hugged her as tight as I could as she hugged me back.

"Mom, and I dead?" I asked her, looking up at her memorizing eyes that looked strikingly similar to mine. She laughed quietly, stroking my cheek with her hand.

"Oh baby girl, you aren't dead! You are far from it! Your just in a deep sleep, but you're gonna wake up soon, I promise. Now I haven't got much time, so there are things, important thing, I must tell you."

"But mom-"

"No Marigold, please just listen. Your gonna see your sister again, but don't think you have to love her. She's done horrible, tragic things. Julia, Sophia, and ones that you don't know about that happened when you all were separated. I know these because I sat up here and watched it all unfold. She is a threat Marigold Palmer, don't trust her. You can never trust her again. I know I'm asking you to give up on the last piece of out family that you have, but you have to. Do you understand?"

I nodded. My mother reached up and wiped my tears away slowly.

"That baby, Judith? You protect her, treat her like she's your little sister, or better yet, like your own daughter. Rick, Carol, they can't always be around to help that baby, and it's your job to do so. All of these people, the ones who love you and have taken such good care of you, your going to do something great for them. Your the hero Mari, your going to be the hero. When I watched you save that boy Carl's life, I realized how much of your life I really did miss. You've grown into such a strong, persistent, 13 year old girl. You say with that boy, because you love him, and he loves you."

I nodded again, a smile forming on my face as I hugged her tightly, realizing that this may be the last time I ever see her.

"I love you mom," I sobbed, hugging the life out of her.

"I love you too baby, now go home."

"Home is gone,"

"I don't mean that home sweetie, I mean with the group. They are your family Marigold, and from what I've seen, home for you is right in Carl's arms..."

Carl's POV

I walked into Mari's cell, placing my gun and the picture of me, my dad, and my mother on the floor beside it. I sat down on Mari's bed and watched as Michonne and Rick carried Judith's new crib past the door.

I sighed, grabbing hold of Marigold's hand. It hurt to look at Morgan back at that town. His son was killed by his own wife, and it was that moment he gained the courage to kill her. He saved my dad, and now he's all alone in this world.

I looked down at Mari's peaceful looking face, realizing that she too might lose all of her family.

I slowly pushed a strand or hair away from her face and behind her ear, kissing her forehead.

"Marigold Palmer, I don't know if you can hear me, but in about to promise you something. I'll be by your side through it all, you won't go through it alone, ever. I swear."

I stood to leave, not wanting my tears to fall.

I didn't even make it 2 inches away from the bed though. Something was holding me back.

I looked down to see Mari's hand still in mine, but I wasn't the one holding her hand.

She was holding mine.

"Carl?" I heard her sweet, soft, angelic voice say. I shakily sat down on the bed, holding her hand tightly. I wouldn't believe it until I saw her eyes.

Her eyes slowly fluttered open and she sat up a bit, her green eyes finally finding mine. And that's when I smiled.

"Mari!!!!!!!!"