chapter 17

The others were soon coming back and Teddy could see that Wilbur had a new medal. "Wow, pretty medal, Wilbur!"

"Thanks," Wilbur smiled. "Is Charlotte okay?"

"She says she's tired, but she feels peaceful." Teddy looked back in concern for the female spider as he carefully held her egg sac.

"Is that her egg sac?" Mismagius smiled.

"Yes, it is," Teddy smiled back. "She said if I was really careful, I could hold it. It feels so soft and squishy like a marshmallow."

"So, then it should be easy to carry, carefully." Ponyta said.

"I just hope my claws don't tear it up." Teddy replied.

"I am so proud of you all," Charlotte said wearily. "You will all live now... Secure and safe."

"Why did you do this for me, Charlotte?" Wilbur curiously asked.

"You and the others have all been my friends," Charlotte frowned. "That is a tremendous thing... After all, what's a life anyway? We're born, we live a little, and we die... A spider's life can't help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies, by helping you, perhaps, I was trying to live up my own life to try harder."

"Try harder?" The Ralts twins asked out of confusion.

"You have a gift for words, Charlotte, but you've saved me," Wilbur told the spider. "And I'd gladly give my life for you."

"And I'm sure you would." Charlotte replied.

"Oh, won't it be wonderful to be home in the barn cellar again?" Wilbur asked before going to his crate. "With the sheep and the geese, Charlotte?"

"I will not be going back to the barn." Charlotte replied with very much regret.

Teddy frowned as he knew about this.

"Not going back?" Wilbur shook his head as he couldn't believe his ears. "What're you talking about?"

"I'm donefor, everyone," Charlotte explained. "I'll be dead. I haven't even the strength to climb down into the crate."

"Why?" Vulpix asked.

"I'm afraid it's just the life of a spider..." Charlotte sighed.

Wilbur soon broke down crying since he was never going to see Charlotte ever again.

"This is just unfair." Scruffy frowned.

Dot sniffled and even howled out of depression.

"Now, now, don't any of you be sad, everyone likes a happy face..." Charlotte told them.

Skipperdee was so unhappy that he hid inside of his shell. Ditto seemed to turn into a Squirtle and did the same as the actual turtle.

"I can't stand it!" Wilbur sobbed. "I won't let you alone to die! I should stay too!"

"Oh, don't be ridiculous, Wilbur," Charlotte replied. "Zuckerman and the humans are on their way right now. You'll all be going home in a few minutes."

"She's right." Teddy said.

Wilbur saw as the young Teddiursa carried the egg sac before looking up at the mother spider. "Charlotte, your children are safe," he told her, though she didn't answer right away. "Charlotte?"

"I'm thinking of all your lives," Charlotte replied wearily. "Nothing can harm you all now... Especially you, Wilbur..." she then sighed as she began to sing a song of Mother Earth and Father Time before her final moments of life had expired.

"Bye." Teddy frowned.

"Charlotte? Charlotte! CHARLOTTE!" Wilbur cried out as the spider didn't answer and was now dead, he soon bowed his head and began to cry.

The Pokemon soon comforted him while not harming the egg sac or the eggs. Templeton was asleep under the straw which was probably a good thing since he would probably say something rude or not at all comforting about Charlotte.

Eventually, it was time to go home and Viola was given her own tiara and sash for winning another beauty pageant in the county fair, though she thought having Tech as her boyfriend and her family proud of her was a good enough prize on its own and where she would have a surprise for them at home.

"Poor Wilbur." Jenny sighed as she hugged Oliver.

"He sure is going to miss her." Oliver said.

"It's okay, Oliver, it's okay..." Jenny soothed her kitten.

The pets and Pokemon were of course the most sad since they were the closest to Charlotte. They were soon leaving the fair and going back to the farm, and that's where the eggs would hatch. Teddy carefully placed the egg sac by where Charlotte's web used to be and licked his paws slightly to get the stickiness off.

"Good Teddy." Estelle smiled proudly.

Teddy soon smiled happily that got eggs to the farm safely. And so, Wilbur came home to his beloved manure pile in the barn cellar. Around his neck, he wore a Medal of Honor. Homer polished the medal as he took it off of Wilbur's neck and hung it high so he could remember it forever and soon left the farm as Wilbur came back to all his friends, all except for one.

And where it would be a while until the eggs would hatch. Wilbur was no longer worried about being killed. He knew that Mr. Zuckerman would keep him as long as he lived. Everyone was feeling homesick, but they didn't want to leave until they could meet Charlotte's new children. Hopefully though, they would hatch soon.