chapter 4

Fern decided to make a little birthday party for Wilbur as he had grown, but not by much due to being the runt of his litter, but at least he grew. The others sang Happy Birthday as there was a cake with a candle on it and Fern was so proud of her little pet pig.

"Nothing could ruin this day." Dot smiled.

"Fern, he's growing and that means it's time for him to start behaving like a pig," John reminded his daughter. "And that means he starts sleeping outside."

Scruffy soon went to one of the windows and opened it and started to sniff the air.

"But Uncle John!" Jenny cried out.

"No buts from any of you," John replied firmly. "Now Fern, take that pig outside where it belongs."

Fern picked up Wilbur in her arms and took him outside. Scruffy soon got in the way while shaking his head no.

"I hate to do this," Jenny sighed to her cousin. "Too bad this isn't the city, then maybe Wilbur could stay inside."

Scruffy came up to the girls to stop them.

"What is it, boy?" Fern asked the puppy.

"There's going to be a thunder storm tonight." Scruffy said.

Fern then did a double take. "Did I just... Talk to an animal... And did it talk back?"

"You mean to tell me that you've lived on a farm all your life and you've never heard an animal talk back before?" Jenny looked back to her cousin.

"I guess I never noticed." Fern replied.

"Well, now that you know that animals can talk; you need to know that there really is going to be a storm tonight." Scruffy said.

"Papa, I can't make Wilbur sleep outside--" Fern tried to explain.

"I'm sorry, Fern, but that's my final word, that pig sleeps outside tonight." John replied assertively.

"Some of us will have to sleep outside with him then." Dot whispered.

"I agree." Scruffy agreed.

"Oh ,how noble of you." Dot smiled to her brother.

"It's the least I can do for him." Scruffy smiled back.

"I'll stay too," Weenie decided. "Besides, I've always wondered what i twould be like to be an outside dog."

"Well... Okay." Eloise said.

"You're all so kind to keep Wilbur company," Jenny smiled to their animal companions. "You truly are loyal."

"They sure are." Akito smiled in agreement.

The pets smiled back to their owners.

As it was getting dark, Fern made a box to be a house for Wilbur and even brought out a blanket for him as she tried to soothe him about sleeping outside. Scruffy even began to do his best to make it sound like sleeping outside was going to be great. Wilbur smiled to Scruffy's help.

"It's my old cotton blanket from when I was little," Fern smiled to Wilbur as she put the blanket in the house for her pig to sleep safely and comfortably outside. "It's nice and warm... Go on in!"

"Yeah, try it out." Estelle said.

Wilbur went inside and lay down, but was sad because he wouldn't be with Fern.

"I know," Fern soothed. "I'll see you in the morning."

Wilbur snorted to her, though no one could really understand him since he was just a baby and he was basically talking in baby talk, only in Pig language.