chapter 2

Jenny hummed to herself as she was leading the way. There appeared to be a pot-bellied pig who gave birth to piglets and was now resting as her babies were taking her milk. The kids smiled in awe as they saw that.

"Aw!" Estelle smiled.

"Oh, this is so adorable!" Eloise cooed.

"They're cute enough to eat," Tech said which gave him glares. "What?! What'd I say?!"

"Pigs get killed and most of their body parts get eaten." Akito whispered to Tech.

"Sorry, I wasn't thinking..." Tech chuckled nervously.

"Jenny, is that you?" a young female voice asked.

"Fern!" Jenny beamed and ran to a brunette girl in an orange top with a blue jumper.

The two girls ran up to each other and then shared a hug.

"Aw!" Estelle smiled.

"It's been too long," Fern smiled to her city cousin. "How's life in the big city?"

"Oh, same old same old, how's life in the little country?" Jenny smiled back.

"Same here." Fern replied with a smile.

Jenny smiled back.

"Ooh, I see Daddy's sow had her piglets." Fern then smiled.

"Saw them too, they were so cute." Estelle smiled.

"They really are..." Fern cooed. "Come on, guys, I'll show you around, wanna help, Jenny?"

"Of course." Jenny smiled to her country cousin.

"Lead the way, girls." Tech said.

Jenny and Fern walked ahead and decided to give a tour of the farm with their guests following. Estelle smiled to the piglets sweetly as she followed the others. And where one of them was smaller than the rest. Estelle then frowned little, noticing that that one was the runt of the litter.

"Sis, I think one of the piglets is going to be killed." Vincent whispered to her so then Fern wouldn't hear.

A man came onto the farm and looked at the piglets, then noticed the smallest one and decided to 'take care' of it. Scruffy saw what he was about to do and decided to do his job with protecting the runt. The man seemed hesitant, but it had to be done, he grabbed his axe and went toward the runt of the litter.

"Good morning, Papa." Fern walked by with a basket filled with eggs.

"Good morning, Fern." Her father greeted with the Ax in his hand.

Fern glanced back at her father as she came in.

"Here are the eggs, Aunt Ruthie." Jenny said as she took the basket for Fern and put it on the kitchen counter.

"Oh, Jenny, so good to see you." the blonde woman smiled to her niece from the big city.

"I came here for a visit and I brought some friends of mine and they came with an adult supervision," Jenny said before showing the group she brought with her. "And I also brought Oliver I would have brought Georgette, but she isn't much of a farm dog."

"Well, that's good." Ruthie smiled as she was fixing up some pancakes.

"What's Uncle John doing with that axe by the way?" Jenny then asked her aunt.

"Some pigs were born last night," Ruthie replied. "One of the pigs was a runt and your uncle has to do away with him."

"What? But that's unfair." Jenny said.

"Just because it's smaller than the others?!" Fern agreed with her city cousin.

"Don't yell, girls, the pig would probably die anyway." Ruthie replied.

The girls then rushed outside with their group to stop John from killing the runt of the litter.

Scruffy seemed to stop John from killing the runt as he growled at the farmer.

"I'm sorry, little guy, but it has to be done." John said as he picked up the runt in his hand as the girls rushed to stop him from killing the baby pig.

Scruffy began to pull on one of the pant legs to stop the farmer.

"Papa, you can't kill it!" Fern cried out as she then started to cry.

"Fern, you and the others have got to learn to control yourself." John said gently.

"But it's not fair, Uncle John!" Jenny started to cry with her cousin. "If Fern had been very small, would you have killed her?"

"No, of course not; a little girl is one thing, but a little pig causes nothing but trouble." John told them.

"I don't see any difference..." Fern continued to cry. "This is the most terrible case of injustice I've ever heard of!"

John couldn't bear to see his daughter cry anymore and decided to think of a solution since she seemed attached to the baby she had just met. "Ya know, I've got a good mind to let ya raise this pig," he then suggested with a smile. "Then you'll see what trouble a pig can be."

"Oh, Papa, would you?" Fern smiled hopefully. "Please?"

"It would be a great experience for her, sir," Tech said. "And we'll be able to help her along the way."

"All right, he's yours!" John handed the runt to his daughter. "Saved from an untimely death."

"Oh, look at him," Fern cooed as she held the pig like a baby. "He's absolutely perfect! His name is... Wilbur."

"Wilbur, what a perfect name." Jenny smiled.

"A pig doesn't grow on hugs and kisses, Fern," John reminded his daughter. "Now take him inside and feed him."

They all then came inside the house as an older boy slid down the banister inside and came down for breakfast.

"Who's that?" Estelle asked.

"That's my other cousin, Avery." Jenny said as they came inside before Fern.

The boy came down and sat in front of a plate of pancakes and appeared to be hiding a frog inside of his pocket.

Ruthie smiled to him until her husband and daughter came through the door with an extra guest. "John Arable, you've gone soft."

"Isn't he precious?" Fern cooed about her new pet.

"He sure is." Estelle smiled as the rest of the pets came in.

"Can I have a pig too, Pa?" Avery asked.

"I only distribute pigs to early risers," John smiled as he hung up his jacket and joined the family to breakfast. "Fern was up at daylight, trying to rid the world of injustice as your cousin and her friends showed up."

"Hey, Avery." Jenny smiled.

"Hey, cous, long time no see." Avery smiled back to her as there was a croaking noise heard.

"What's the matter?" Jenny folded her arms with a smirk. "Got a frog in your throat?"

"Uh, sure, something like that." Avery smiled sheepishly.

Suddenly, an actual frog leaped from his pocket and hopped onto the butter. Avery tried to slap it down, but just ended up smushing the butter.

"Seems to me you got more wildlife than you can take care of, Avery." John smirked to his son.

Teddy soon got a hold of the frog. A pancake then flew and landed on Wilbur's head as he was in Fern's arms still. The pig snorted in amusement as he then licked the syrup off his face.

"He's so cute." Teddy smiled.

"I think Wilbur needs a bath after breakfast." Jenny suggested to her cousin.

"I agree." Fern smiled.

There was enough breakfast to go around and after they finished, it was bath time for Wilbur.