Chapter 6: He Knows

Chapter 6

I was woken up by my phone blaring. I don’t bother looking at the caller i.d. 

“Hello?” I answered except it was more mumbled.

“I know about you and the chief.” I hear a deep scruffy voice.

 Immediately my heart stops. Maybe this is a dream. Yeah, it’s just a dream. I’ll wake up in a couple of hours and laugh about it.

“This isn’t a dream. I know about you and him. Don’t think for a second I won’t tell anyone because I will.  I will tell everyone and ruin your life and his.”

Click.

I remove the phone from my ear and look at it.

Asshole hung up on me. Like what the hell? First you call me and threaten me then just hang up? You could at least say bye.

I put my phone back on the table and glance at the clock. I still could get about 3 and a half hours of sleep.

I toss and turn until the clock says 6:00am. Normally I would sleep until about 7:30 and rush to get ready for school. I guess today I’ll actually look like I didn’t wake up five minutes before the bell rings.

I get out of bed and walk to the bathroom, starting the water to warm. I stare at myself in the mirror. Dark, almost black, circles line under my eye. My eyes have no spark. My skin is pale. If anyone looked at me, they would think I’ve been depressed.

Seeing as I’ve been standing here for the past 10 minutes staring at myself, I hop in the shower. Of course I wash my hair and everything else that needs to be done in the shower.

I shut off the water and grab a fluffy purple towel. My favorite one. It’s pretty big to be a bathroom towel but it’s super fluffy and warm. I dry off and wrap my hair in a smaller towel. I dry off the mirror and flip on the fan to help get rid of the steam. My face looks a little better than before the shower.

I walk to my closet and start picking out clothes. I’m the worst when it comes to this. I’m so picky, that’s why I hate shopping. I can never decide what to get.

I decide to wear a thong and push up bra. I grab a pair of dark skinny jeans and purple flow-y shirt that’s low cut but only enough to tease someone.

I walk back into the bathroom and get started on my makeup and hair. I blow dry and straighten my hair. It’s finally getting long enough. It reaches to the middle of my back. I made the mistake of getting it cut to about my chin last year. Never gonna happen again.

I decide on some light purple eye shadow and black eyeliner and a lot of mascara. I love my lashes long and thick.

Once finished, I look over myself in the mirror. I look like a normal teenager.

The power of makeup.

I look at the clock and it reads 7:15am. I grab the rest of my things out of my room and make my way downstairs for breakfast. I walk to the fridge and notice a note.

Cori,

We’re having to the leave for Ashely’s surgery. We didn’t want you to miss school, so Nick said it’s fine if you stay with them. There’s money in your account if you need some.

Don’t waste it.

We’ll be back as soon as we can.

We’ll call you tonight.

Love you!

Mom and dad.

I toss the note in the trash and grab an apple and walk out the door. Ashley is my cousin. She’s having surgery for a torn ligament. We never really get along so it doesn’t bother me that I didn’t go. Plus I get more time with Nick.