Chapter 3: The Storm

Chapter 3    

“Cori, you okay?” I hear Nick ask. I could tell he’s still on the couch.

“uhh..yeah.” I whisper.

I feel a hand on my leg. I let out squeal. “Sorry. I was just trying to find you. Come here.” I can feel him pull me. Although being near him makes me nervous as crap, I need to be so I won’t freak out.

“Nothing to be scared of. I won’t let anything happen to you.” He whispers in my ear. I’m pretty sure he’s trying to give me a heart attack.

“There’s plenty to be scared of.” I whisper back.

He chuckles. “Yeah? Like what?”

I think about it for a minute. “Well, thunderstorms, clowns, snakes, spiders, falling in love, rejection, monkeys, scorpions, numerous things.”

Of course I know what he’ll say back to that.

“Have you been in love?” by now we’re back to speaking normally. Although I can still feel his breath fanning my right cheek. We’re still cuddled up. His arm are around me, securing me in place. My legs are tucked under me. My head it leaned back, resting on his shoulder.

“I don’t know. No, not really. There’s this guy that I like a lot.” I’m not sure why I just said that.

“Oh..some kid you go to school with?” if I didn’t know any better, I’d say that was jealously in his voice.

“Uh.. no. He’s older.” As long as I don’t give it away that it’s him, we’ll be fine.

“How did you meet him?” I guess we’re playing twenty questions.

“A friend.” My heart is beating like crazy.

“Have you told him that you like him?” I think I might die of a heart attack.

“No.” I whisper. It’s not simple.

“Why not? He’d be crazy not to like you back.” He moves around so I’m kinda on his lap with my back against the armrest of the couch.

“I don’t take rejection well.” This conversation should not be happening.

His phone beeps. I silently thank god for allowing that to happen.

“It’s just Mandi asking if she can stay at Mason’s since the storm is happening.” A whole fucking night alone with him?!

Definitely having a heart attack tonight.

“Anyways back to what we were talking about. I’m sure if you tell him he won’t reject you.” I let out a little laugh.

“It’s not that simple.” I grab the blanket off the back and cover myself.

“Is he married or in a relationship?” This is a conversation I never thought would be happening right now.

“No. Not married. No relationship that I’m aware of.”

He chuckles. “You would know if he was in a relationship. Trust me. Has he kissed you?”

Should I say yes to through him off?

“No.” A part of me wants him to find out.

I can feel his face getting closer to mine. I can smell his minty breath. He must have put gum in after eating.

“How many times have you been kissed?” he whispers.

I don’t wanna say. “It’s embarrassing.” I whisper back. If he could see my face he would see the blush.