Chapter 39: Alex

I had barely knocked on the door when Vladimir called out to me and thanked me for coming. Trying my best to tame my hurtling emotions, I stepped into his office, which caused me to gasp in amazement.

"It's quite something isn't it?" Vladimir asked me, as I carefully made my way up to his desk, doing my best to avoid the numerous ancient and unusual looking artefacts, which crowded around my feet.

I nodded in reply to his question, gazing in wonder around the vast room, before my eyes found his. When they did, I felt as if he was searching me.

No need to panic, Vladimir's voice sounded in my head, causing me to gasp involuntary. He merely smiled. I promise that I won't hurt you. I just want to take a look into your past.

Without knowing why, although this news sounded terrifying, my body immediately relaxed at the sound of his calm, steady tone. I felt my mind slacken.

Instantly, Vladimir was scanning my recollections.

Vladimir started with my first memories as a toddler, crawling around my parents' original, rundown apartment, giggling excitedly as I watched a spider crawl across the carpet. Suddenly, I put it in my mouth. My mother's shouts of: "No darling...no we don't eat spiders. Oh Christ – that's disgusting!" could be heard before Vladimir fast forwarded my childhood, skipping to the day when I had first started Primary school.

I was standing alone, feeling upset and wishing that I could just go home and play with my toys. Suddenly, I was being asked if I wanted to play a game of 'It' by a boy my age, who had messy, ginger hair and big, green eyes. At hearing his request, I was shy at first, for I pulled away from him and sort comfort from the rough, wooden play post nearby. After another gentle offer, I slowly nodded, sensing that this boy was just trying to be friendly. Soon, my thoughts became positive, for I was laughing delightedly, as I knew that I had just made my first wonderful and probably only friend. David had always been so lovely to me since that day. Now though, I didn't know if our friendship was intact, after delivering my shocking disclosure many weeks ago.

Swiftly, this happy memory faded and I was now being chased by Jessica Wademen and her cronies. I ducked behind the school bins, but they found me and threw paint all over my nice, new, clean, school uniform. It had taken me hours to remove the paint stains, so that my parents wouldn't have to know and worry about me being bullied. However, that memory abruptly became dark and now I saw myself on the day of my 'awakening', water streaming out of my fingertips and surrounding Jessica in a watery cocoon.

It had felt so wonderful to finally have payback.

Subsequently, Jack's face appeared, telling me about my powers, before this memory changed to one of me learning about my great grandfather. Then, I saw David's heartbroken and frightened face, after I had told him about my newly found powers. Finally, Vladimir raced through other more current memories concerning Jasmine, Raphael and Hecate, before everything went black.

I found myself back in his office, now feeling completely and utterly exposed after such a peculiar experience. Vladimir just grinned, after he had finished and looked at me as if I was some long hoped for prize.

She must be connected to Mortimer somehow, Vladimir thought to himself, as he flicked through Alexandra's memories. Such unbelievable bravery, strength of mind and wilfulness. Plus, I can sense tremendous power within and all around her, much like Hecate picked up on.

As Vladimir became lost in his excited thoughts, unaware of his quiet reverie, I was bewitched when my eyes fell on the dagger sitting directly behind him. As soon as my eyes rested on such an enchanting object, I felt as if I had to restrain myself from racing over to the cabinet, smashing the glass and claiming it as my own. It was as if it had me under some kind of spell.

The dagger called to me in a virtually inaudible, soft, throbbing hum and its blood red jewel drew me in, enticing me to take the hilt and complete the duty it was destined to fulfil. Vladimir's voice suddenly broke my trance, bringing me back to reality.

"Do you hear the song too?" he asked me in a breathy tone, gesturing to the dagger. "It's so quiet and yet, it's always present."

Slowly, unsure of why I did it, I nodded.

"Yes," I muttered. "Yes, I can hear its faint, melancholy tune. It's extremely soft and yet, if you listen hard enough, it is there."

Vladimir nodded. Even Hecate had not heard the call of the dagger, although she had been affected by it like many others, whom had visited him. The fact that this girl, Alexandra, could hear its call, just like Vladimir himself, spoke volumes and confirmed his suspicions.

Vladimir motioned at me to leave him to his troubled thoughts.

"I'll call for you soon," Vladimir told me, "and we'll start our training. However, for now, I want you to practise your powers to the best of your ability, for you're extraordinarily gifted."

I nodded, feeling both confused and scared, as I watched Vladimir in silence. He slowly became consumed by dark contemplations. As I closed the door quietly behind me and saw Vladimir watching me in interest, the dagger called out to me. Its strange tune filled my mind once more and I knew that, one day, I wouldn't be able to resist its all-too-powerful call.

***********
AN:
Oooo...things are getting darker. This chapter is rather foreboding. What does it mean? Any thoughts?