Chapter 27: Alex

After a wholesome breakfast, I left early to collect my books for my first lesson. Just as I turned around to leave for Music, Vanessa's spiteful face met mine, as I came to the bottom of the dormitory stairs.

"Well girls, look at who we've just bumped into on our way to first period?" Vanessa grinned nastily at me, flashing a smile at the small huddle of cronies who had gathered around her, including her BF Tiffany and I realised that, up until now, I had steadily been avoiding her, even in the lessons we shared. "Why, it's the screaming banshee."

At hearing this vindictive comment, all of her followers burst out laughing in hideous cackles, ironically sounding more like banshees than I had during that nightmarish experience, which thankfully hadn't repeated since. I blushed red. Clearly, Vanessa must have heard me screaming and shouting, during that time and now that she had me cornered and vulnerable, she wanted to torment me about it.

Scowling, I glared back at her, shaking in anger.

"Ha-ha, very funny," I said sarcastically, not holding back. "Although it won't be as funny as it will be when my fist meets your eye."

A gasp from her companions met this retort and all began to whisper amongst themselves, shocked by my spunk. Even I was surprised by my guts to say such a violent answer. So far, my reaction to Vanessa's jibes hadn't been nearly so volatile. However, Vanessa wasn't about to lose the argument, or be humiliated. Plus, she didn't think I had it in me to fight back physically.

"Yeah right," she rolled her eyes. "As if you would have the backbone to pull off a move like that, let alone even know where my eyes are in my face."

Again, this was met with a delighted roar of approval from her friends and she grinned like she had already won the battle. As a result of this reaction, her nerve to say such a condescending and unpleasant comment and, due to her violent behaviour in Netball, I made her eat her words.

A darkness rose within me.

Quicker than lightening, she was on the floor, her golden hair sprawled about her head like a halo.

Moaning in agony, she clutched her right eye.

As soon as this incident had happened, Vanessa's friends hurriedly crowded around her, offering words of support and trying to help her to her feet. These actions were met with numerous curses, mostly aimed at me. I, on the other hand, felt on fire, as adrenaline charged around my body. I watched her writhe about on the floor, her beautiful, designer dress becoming dirty and crinkled, although my wrist hurt a little due to the force at which I had hit Vanessa.

I had hit Vanessa.

Oh my god! I couldn't believe I had just hit another person, let alone Vanessa of all people, despite the fact that I had been itching to spoil that perfect face ever since arriving at the academy. I hadn't even hit Jessica Wademen and she was up there on my 'hit' list.

As I stood there watching Vanessa shakily get to her feet, her right eye rapidly matching the same colour as her dress, I began to grin. It was a shame that Jasmine hadn't been around to see my sharp moves.

"Touché," I said, pointing at her growing bruise, which caused her to wince. "Now we're even on the injury front."

If looks could kill, I would've been dead by now. Vanessa glared at me with a profuse amount of venom. However, much to my surprise, deep within her eyes, I saw another emotion – fear.

Vanessa was afraid of...of...me.

"You'll regret doing that!" Vanessa hissed through gritted teeth, blinking back her tears. Then, with a snarl of rage, trying to keep a hold of what pride she had left, she flung off her fawning followers and charged off down the hall, towards first period.

When she was gone, I burst into laughter, unable to contain my shock and delight at my behaviour. From not being able to defend myself barely a week ago, I had turned into a person who could actually have the bravado to punch someone. What's more, the person who I had punched had showed signs of being frightened of me.

It was insane.

Bubbling with adrenaline, I set off excitedly to tell Jasmine what I had done, shock still flowing through my veins.  

***********
AN:

Vanessa and her cronies are back with a BANG literally. I wonder if you saw Alex's reaction coming. I think she is starting to live up to her 'badass' reputation now haha. Did she do the right thing though?