Chapter 26: Alex

Since that nightmarish episode, the weeks seemed to fly by. Over the course of this time, Raphael and I seemed to bond more, particularly over the topic of superheroes. What's more, I started to talk more to Lucifer, after we got paired together in Music for a practical task. I came to realise that there was more to him than met the eye. Before long, I realised that I hadn't written an e-mail to my parents – something that I had promised to do. Therefore, after waking up early and thinking about what I could say, I eventually managed to type my thoughts.

My e-mail went as follows:

Date: 27th October 2015

Time: 7:30 am

Subject: Hi at long last from Vladimir's academy.

Dear Mum and Dad,

I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying being at Vladimir's academy. There is only one word I can use to sum up what it is like living here – AMAZING. That includes the academy itself, which is so ancient and gothic that it puts 'Mad Al's House', with all his ghosts and ghouls, to shame. Sometimes I feel that I'm still living in the dark ages. I mean, Vladimir still uses candles instead of normal lighting for crying out loud. Therefore, as you can probably understand, I was shocked when I found out that this place had Wi-Fi!

As for the grounds, which surround the academy, they're HUGE. I love exploring this area although, at the moment, because it is October, they're literally swimming in mud. This is very annoying, particularly because, when I first arrived here, my scout wasn't debriefed about the change in meeting location. Therefore, we both ended up taking a mud bath on our way up to the academy. Still, despite this misfortune, there's a gigantic lake, which students can explore after hiring a range of boats, in addition to a small, mysterious island in the middle of this vast expanse of water. Also, in the academy itself, there's a library, which I've yet to explore but am excited to use. I'm especially eager to visit the library because I've been given permission to do some ancestry digging on great grandfather Alistair.

Most of the teachers I've met so far are lovely as well, both in personality and in teaching. My favourite professors include my Music teacher – Miss Crotchet (I know, cool right?) who looks like a real life version of the Disney princess 'Snow White'. She also has the greatest respect for great grandfather - Alistair and is the one who is kindly letting me research more about our family history. Then, there's Mr Allen, who's my Power Control Teacher and is a fire bender. He is extremely handsome - the eye candy of the school for want of a better phrase and is tremendously talented. I also respect him because of his passion, drive and ability to see the good in people, even if they can't see this themselves. All in all, I think that it's a shame he's too old for me, plus being my teacher.

Even so, we can all dream...right?

With regards to Vladimir Alcaeus, he's as incredible as people describe, although I've not had the pleasure of talking to him personally. He exuberates power and authority and I'm not sure if I'd want to get on his bad side. I reckon he'd pack a punch or two, even if he's getting on. There are those here though, teachers and students alike, who are on my 'not hot' list. In terms of teachers, there's one teacher, called Miss Beast, who couldn't fit this description better in personality and appearance.

Furthermore, her job is ironically, wait for it...PE.

Miss Beast has the character and appearance of an ox on heat and she enjoys ripping people apart verbally, as well as physically, I think, if she ever got the chance. She takes great pleasure in emphasising her authority over others and, as you can imagine, therefore, has no friends or admirers whatsoever.

Another teacher I'm not so keen on is Hecate. She's one of the more mysterious professors at the academy and is deputy headmistress. Hecate dresses in all black, is extremely pale, unearthly beautiful and has the most chilling eyes I've ever known. All in all, she comes across as one of 'The Walking Dead' – except alive and far prettier. The main reason why I'm not so keen on her includes the fact that she seems to be a stalker. It's as if she's constantly around wherever I go and all because I happened to meet her gaze during dinner on the first night at the academy, resulting in us sharing a weird "connection". I mean, as I'm writing this e-mail, the whole thing sounds like a horror movie script and even writing about her is giving me the chills. Nonetheless, the worst person out of them all has to be Vanessa.

Vanessa is your classic rich, spoilt, rude, heartless and superior snob. I could go on with similar adjectives to describe her, but I'd probably end up making this e-mail a thousand pages long. Vanessa is so awful that she even had the nerve to tell me, after I asked her why she disliked me so much, that it is because I'm ugly, that I've got no fashion sense whatsoever and that my background is shameful. After delivering these pathetic allegations, I told her that she needed psychiatric help, which didn't go down too well. I ended up with a bruised face thanks to the ball that she wacked in my direction during netball but, don't worry, the bruise is already going down. All the same, I can hear Jasmine (my best friend here, who can control the weather) calling me because we need to go down to breakfast. Therefore, I send you lots of love with this e-mail and can you also send my love to my brother and David. I hope that they, in addition to you, are doing well.

All my love,

Alex xxxxx

When I had finished writing my e-mail, after acknowledging Jasmine's calls for me to leave, I pressed 'send' and hoped that my parents would reply as soon as possible. Then, Jasmine and I set off in the direction of the dining hall, our stomach's rumbling appreciatively.

***********
AN:

I enjoyed writing Alex's email. It was her chance to blurt out her thoughts and feelings into one long message. I think she argued her case with certain individuals ;)