Orchids were exceptional arcanists, even among the company of other dragons. Their chroma was well-known for their deep stores of ether, greater than even a gold dragon's. A mature orchid's capacity for magic was supposedly near that of a mortal hierarch, and they didn't even need to inherit a bloodsong to attain that level. Having all that arcane power at their command came at a cost, unfortunately. Their truest forms were significantly smaller than other chromas. Though Keeta was almost as old as Deebee and Kimpo, she'd barely come up to their bellies had they stood together.

Keeta shuffled her feet, discomforted. "I don't like this," she said. "We've of course heard your previous talk of these old masters, but demons are supposed to be fairy tales or something to blame when the milk curdles. You're telling us that not only are demons real, they've been orchestrating the downfall of modern civilization."

"Worse than that, I'm afraid," Deebee said from where she stood alongside Kimpo. "We believe they also had their hands in the fall of Shan Alee."

Keeta held her chin in her fingers. "I suppose I can understand their reasoning. Inwe toppled the proteurim empires before he could found the old empire They surely wanted revenge."

"It's not as simple as that," Kimpo said. "The first Shan Alee wasn't the start. Demons have done this many times before."

Enfri cleared her throat. "Speaking for Inwe since he can't address you all directly, he'd like to point out that the proteurim empires had mostly toppled themselves a hundred years or so before he was even born. The proteurim he fought were little more than remnants." She furrowed her brow and murmured something so quiet that she might not have meant for anyone to hear. "Winds, don't talk all at once."

"Your Majesty?" Thaan asked, concerned.

"Sorry. Some of the others started chiming in to say Inwe's being modest. The point remains, the demons abandoned the proteurim once they were through with them, whatever their purpose in helping them along in the first place was. That led to their civilizations collapsing and the rise of humanity. The first Dragon Emperors want you to know that this cycle has been going on for longer than humanity has existed. Even the aeries of the first dragons were influenced by them. They say even the gods can't know for certain how long this has gone on."

As Deebee went over a few further points on that subject, Reyn noted how Jin had a curious look in her eye. Almost... displeased.

Must be disturbing to hear the woman you love speaking with the words of a legendary figure you were raised to hate. I wonder how she reconciles her upbringing with being part of Shan Alee.

Starra walked around the table, nudging Reyn's shoulder as she passed.

"Do stop mooning over Her Highness, dear one," she whispered. "Not only is it unseemly, but it's making me frightfully jealous."

"I was not mooning," Reyn mumbled under her breath. "And what is there for you to be jealous over? She is not yours."

Starra chuckled and took the chair beside Reyn. "I count Jin among my closest friends in this world. Since meeting up with her again, I feel that bond has only deepened. For instance, she had no idea I was a vampire until a couple weeks ago, and when she found out, she took it more or less in stride. I adore her for that, and I love her deeply. But, it isn't because I fancy myself as the empress' romantic rival that I'm jealous. You see, it's not Jin's affection I want."

Reyn felt her traitorous pulse start to race. "Shouldn't you be more mindful of your current paramours, my lady?"

"Dear Fallen made herself clear she was only interested in a single rendezvous."