Feelings can be a tricky thing

I stood in the hallway, looking at the posters plastered all over for homecoming. Another school dance and another night of sitting home. Even when I dated Marco, I sat back. He was too busy screwing me over with screwing some other chick.

Yep, that was the story of my love life, it sucked. Either I was single or picked the wrong guys. One cheats on me, and the other one uses me as his fake girlfriend. There must be someone out there that at least would take pity on me.

"Not again," Sean said.

"Huh?" I asked.

"Don't tell me you are hoping to go to the dance again," Tony said to me.

"Don't worry, guys. I gave up the fact a guy will take pity on me and ask me to the dance," I sighed.

"Don't tell me that you never went to a school dance," Lucas said to me.

"Considering my ex cheated on me while I sat home, I would say no. Every year I sat home the night of homecoming," I said.

"Why?" Lucas asked.

"I never had a date," I said as I turned and started walking. The guys walked with me.

"You know if you wanted to go, I'd take you," Lucas said to me, making me stop.

"You would?" I asked, surprised.

"Sure, even though we 'broke up.' I would still take you," Lucas reasoned.

Oh, did I forget to mention that we staged a break up right after the cafeteria incident? Yep, we did. It was easier that way.

"Well, okay," I said with a soft smile. Inside, I was dancing around like a fool. Finally, I won't stay home for homecoming.

Zack walked up to us as Lucas and I were working out the details of the dance. "What's going on?" Zack asked.

"Oh, Lucas is taking Gracie to the dance." Tony shrugged.

"What dance?" Zack questioned.

"Homecoming," I said to Zack.

"Since when did you want to go to dances," Zack asked me with surprise in his voice.

"Since forever and I always ended up sitting home," I said, and I went back to talking to Lucas.

Sean leaned over and whispered, "Man, you better do something."

"I got an idea. We're going to that dance," Zack whispered back.

After working out the details with Lucas, I went home to tell my parents. Mom took me shopping for a dress. I was so excited to go, and she was excited to buy myself a new dress. After shopping, we went home. I can't wait to show Dad what we purchased.

Once we got home, I showed Dad what I got, and he smiled as did Mom. It excites me to go dancing finally. So, what if it was with my gay best friend? I was happy not to sit home another homecoming.

The night of homecoming arrived, and I got ready. Once I put on the finishing touches, I came downstairs, and my parents smiled at me since I was so giddy with excitement. I know, I know, but give me a break. My first school dance was a big deal.

Lucas showed up on time, and after some pictures, we left for the dance. After we arrived, we walked in, and he led me to the dance floor. He placed a hand on my lower back and took my hand in his hand as we moved all over the dance floor.

"Where did you learn to dance?" I asked Lucas.

"My mom taught me. She said I had to learn how to dance with my wife. Although my parents are in for a surprise," Lucas grinned, making me laugh.