Things aren't always as they seem

"Grace Anne Morgan! You better be up in five minutes before you are late for your first day," someone yelled from downstairs.

"Mmph," I mumbled. Where did the summer go? I miss sleeping in until noon. I will miss you, bed. Eh, five more minutes won't hurt. I rolled over snuggling into my blankets, well, that was until I got a body-slammed by three cumbersome bodies.

One person pulled down my covers. "Gracie, get up."

I opened an eye to see Tony grinning at me. Ugh, why? I pushed Tony off of me and snuggled back into my covers. Then I felt two strong hands grab me by the ankles and pull me off the bed, hitting the floor with a thud.

"Whoops," said Zack.

I glared at Zack as he grinned back at me.

"You know you guys could have been easier on Grace," Sean said, helping me up.

"What fun would that be?" Zack asked.

"Well, I see you're finally up," someone said at my door.

"Dad? You had to send Larry, Moe, and Curly in here," I asked incredulously as the guys did the three Stooges antics, ladies and gents, my idiot friends.

"Well, they got you up, didn't they," Dad asked me.

I looked up at the ceiling and mouthed, "Why?"

"Okay, you three, let Grace get dressed," Dad said, pointing at the door. The three of them left so that I could change private.

Once I changed, I threw my hair into a ponytail and went downstairs for breakfast. Mom was making breakfast, and I signed, "Morning, Mom."

She signed, "Morning, sweet pea." I kissed her on the cheek and took a plate of food. I took a seat next to Dad as the others joined us.

"Now, Grace, promise me, you will try to stay out of the principal's office the first day," Dad said.

"Oh, come on, Dad. That guy deserved it, and you know it," I said, taking a bite of food.

"I don't dispute that, but this is your senior year. I want you to graduate with the rest of your friends," Dad said, taking a sip of coffee.

"No promises, but I'll try," I offered.

"That's my girl. You better head to school before you're late," Dad said as he pointed to his cheek for a kiss. I gave him a quick peck and got up, placing my plate in the sink and leaving with the others.

"Do you think she will be okay?" Mom signed.

"I hope so," Dad signed back. She gave him a look until he realized what he said and roared.

We pulled up into the school parking lot and got out. I let out a sigh.

"Come on, Gracie. You probably won't see the douche this year," Tony said.

I looked at him as Zack threw his arm around my neck. "Plus, you have us." I looked at Zack, and he smirked. I shook my head as we went inside the school.

You're probably confused with whom we're talking about here. We were talking about my ex, who is scum in the sense of scum. I made the mistake of dating Marco last year only to find out he was a lying, cheating bastard, but I digress. He may not reproduce, but that's a story for another time.

We walked into the main entryway, only greeted by the Barbie trio. Yep, they're your typical mean girls who flirt with the guys every chance they get, who are oblivious to the fact they hate me and make my life miserable.

Again my friends are idiots.

"Hi, Zackie," Missy said.

"Hey, Missy," Zack said.

"Hello, Tony," Mary said.

"Hey, Mary," Tony said.

"Wow, Sean, have you been working out?" Madison asked.

"Why, yes, I have," Sean grinned, showing off his arms as she felt them oohing and aahing, typical.

"Guys, I will head to my locker," I said.

"They're busy. You should run along," Missy said, shooing me.

Is she for real?

"Guys?" I asked.

Missy shot me a look while the guys were too busy to notice me since the Barbie trio had their undivided attention. Fantastic, ever since they took an interest in each other last year, they pushed me aside, which was even better having to deal with my scum of an ex.

Speaking of which, here he comes, even better.

"Hey, Gracie," my ex said.

I gave him a look.

"You're not still mad, are you?" He asked me.

"What do you want, Marco?" I asked, annoyed.

"I thought we could let bygone be bygones and start fresh," Marco suggested.

"Yeah, I don't think so," I said with a sigh.

He leaned in, "I think so. See your bodyguards there, won't be there to protect you since someone a lot hotter has their attention." He leaned back and smirked. "See you around, Gracie."

He walked past me as I stood there. Great, the worst part, he was right. The guys were so wrapped up in the Barbie trio that I doubt they would notice me anymore.

I headed to my locker then class. I took a seat and saw Tony walk in, waving to him, but he made a place next to Missy, odd but okay.

Next class, the same thing happened with Zack, and the same thing happened with Sean.

At lunch, I saved them a seat, but they sat with the Barbie trio. As I sat alone, I saw Marco smirking at me. What the hell? I found out what their deal was. I walked over to their table. "Guys? I saved us a seat."

"Can't you see they are busy with someone better and prettier," Missy said with a snarky tone, not looking at me.

I looked at them. "Guys?"

They didn't bother looking at me; instead, they acted like I wasn't even there. That left me confused. I turned and walked away as I heard Madison say, "Aww, poor baby." Then I heard laughter, including the guys, ouch that hurt.

After school, I walked out of the school and saw the guys standing next to the car. I almost started walking towards them when I saw the Barbie trio walk over to them. They were busy, so I walked home. That was the beginning of the end with me and the guys. They chose those fake bitches over me.

I walked home alone. Throughout the school, the only friends I had are the three of them, and now I had no one but me. Yep, this was going to be a fun senior year.

I walked into the house, and Dad asked, "How was your first day?"

"It was okay," I shrugged.

"Where's the boys?" Mom signed.

"Oh, they had something to do," I signed.

"Like what?" Dad asked.

"Stuff," I said as I walked upstairs.

Mom looked at him and signed, "What did they do?"

"I don't know," Dad signed.

"Well, find out," Mom signed, then added, "or else."

"Oh, come on! I told you many times that's not even possible," Dad signed as she went into the kitchen.

Every day it was the same. I would try to talk to the guys, and they ignored me, too wrapped up with the Barbie trio. I finally gave up. What did it matter anymore? I get it. Years of friendship down the drain only because I wasn't them.

Fine, I needed to get through my senior year, then I would be off to college in the fall. It's no big deal. What's better than a senior year with no friends? I can focus on my grades.