33: Electra

My first day of public school was rough. No one wanted to be friends with the new kid. It didn't help that I had came with three months left of school. I joined track to see if I could make friends. Everyone thought I was some sort of freak because I had been homeschooled.

There was no bus after practice so I had to walk home. I was almost out of town when someone stopped and asked if I needed a ride. I looked up at him and shook my head.

"It looks like it might rain...are you sure?" He asked.

"I don't need a ride." I snapped. "All you're going to do is make fun of me just like everyone else."

A lot of jokes had been made about my hair so I self-consciously shoved it farther in my hood.

He shook his head. "I'm not going to make fun of you. Please, just get in."

I sighed but got in anyway. "My house is three miles out."

"I like your hair, you know. You're also really good at running."

I looked at him to try see if he was joking. I don't think he was.

We drove in silence the rest of the way to my house. He stopped at the top of the horseshoe driveway and I was surprised he didn't look at my house in awe. Maybe he didn't care if I was rich or not. I was about to get out of the car but he grabbed my wrist.

"I'm Damien, by the way."

I looked at him and thought about just walking away. But, instead, I smiled. "I'm Electra."

He smiled back. "Nice to meet you, Electra."

-------------------------------

"How was your day?"

I smiled at Damien. "Good. Everyone's being nicer. Maybe it's because they know I'm rich now..."
I looked down at my hands and started picking at the skin by my nails.

"Nah. I doubt it's that. They're finally realizing how amazing you are."

I could feel the blush creeping up my face. I had learned that Damien was rich too and that explains why he wasn't staring at awe at my house. But that made me feel better about him because it meant he really did like me for me.

"You don't have to keep giving me rides after practice you know." I told him. He lived in the opposite direction.

"I don't mind. I'd rather not go home."

I also found out he hated his mother.

"I would love it if you came over for supper one day." My heart was beating hard. I knew that I was kind of inviting him to meet my family, but did he?

He looked over at me and smiled. "I'd love that too. Just tell me a day and I'll be there."

I smiled again. I don't think I had ever smiled so much in such a little amount of time.

-------------------------------

When I woke up, it wasn't really like waking up. More or less becoming more aware of my real surroundings. I couldn't open my eyes but I could feel everything. I was freezing and I had a sizeable bruise on my hip from falling to the ground. I wanted to wince in pain but I still couldn't move. I heard whispered yelling and decided to listen in for a bit.

"Are you crazy? You coming back here could give her a heart attack. And why tonight of all nights?" I think that was my dad.

"I needed to see her, sir. You have no idea the recovery I had to go through. I needed to see her. I figured if I could recover from something like that, then I should be able to come back to see the one I love. I left her at the worst possible timing and I had to come back and fix it."