5: Blaze

I sat through school in a daze. She hated me because our first impression wasn't perfect. I thought it was absurd but I had to be tolerant. After all, it was how she was now. When lunch time came around, I was expecting to see Electra and Maggie and Dover, but I didn't see any of them. I decided I'd see them later at Electra's house.

After school finally let out, we made our way to the address which we all knew without looking at the paper. We drove up to the house, parked at the top of the horseshoe driveway, and got out to let a butler park the car. My eyes popped at the sheer size of the house and the amount of servants and suit clad men. We were ushered in the house where Electra was standing on the bottom step of a grand marble staircase. To her left stood Maggie and Dover. To her right stood a man that looked about her age. A pang of jealousy ripped through my body. She gave us a fleeting look before finishing her conversation with the man. Once he left, she stepped off the staircase and came before us.

"Hi. I suppose I should give you the grand tour, huh?" She asked.

We followed her as she pointed out the living room (which looked like it had never been used), the kitchen, and the dining room. She stopped in front of a door and turned toward us.

"This is my dad's office. It's off limits."

She was cut off as a man in a suit walked out.

"Hey Mr. Sitsky."

He gave her the smallest of looks and waved before disappearing out of the oak doors.

"He's a stick in the mud. Like everyone here." Electra explained. We laughed but I couldn't help but hear the lacing of truth under her words.

"Anyway. Back to the office. It's off limits." She paused and gave one of her unconvincing smiles. "So don't go in there."

The office door opened again and a man I thought I wouldn't see for a while walked out.

"Electra, your mother-" He stopped short as he noticed my siblings and I. "You have company."

"Yes, father. I have company." Electra retorted, giving him a nasty glare.

"Well I hope you're showing them around?"

"Of course, father. Not all of us here are stuck up, are we?"

I looked away awkwardly as I realized something deeper was surging through every word they threw at each other. My siblings felt as awkward as I did. Once their bickering quit, Electra finally tore herself away from her dad and brought all of us up the marble staircase. She turned right at the first landing, explaining how her parents bedroom was just down the hall if we turned left. She also made sure we knew it was off limits as well. She led us to her room and walked in, taking us with her.

It was honestly the most boring room I'd ever seen. There's got to be more, I thought. This isn't her.

"And here's my room."

We looked around (not that there was much to look at) before a truly awkward silence fell between all of us. I turned towards her to catch her staring at me. Her and the other two sat on the bed, watching us closely.

"Where'd you guys come from anyway?" She asked.

"We lived in a cabin up in the mountains." I mentally slapped myself for saying that. It sounded stupid.

Electra nodded awkwardly. It was horrible. We used to have chemistry. A lot of it. And now there was...nothing.

"Well this was fun but I have a ton of homework. Don't know what these morons have but I got too much. We should get going." Bridget said, clapping her hands.

"Us too." Electra replied.

Her and the other two led us downstairs once more and showed us to the doors. Electra pulled the oak doors open with a loud creak. She waved almost sarcastically before slamming the door behind us.

"That could've gone better." Brody said, scratching the back of his neck.

I looked back at the door which almost constantly opened and closed with suit clad men spilling in or out. Even as we were driving down the road I could still see the door opening and closing. Deep inside I felt that's what was happening between Electra and I. Doors kept opening and I kept running to her. But something always happened to make her slam that door right in my face.