23: Blaze

After supper, I decided to talk to Electra. But she was up the stairs faster than I could comprehend. As I went up to my room I heard the shower in the bathroom and decided to give her about an hour. But the next thing I knew, I was waking up a little after eight. Giving myself a moment to wake up more, I eventually made my way towards Electra's room. I knocked a few times and when I got no answer, I left it alone and went back to my room. I tried going back to sleep but an hour later I was still wide awake. The tossing and turning was nearly making me seasick so I got up and paced my room.

Ten minutes later, I heard a knock so quiet that I wasn't sure it was even a knock. So I stopped pacing and listened. A louder knock sounded three seconds later and I took three steps towards the door before her perfect voice stopped me.

"Blaze? It's Electra...please open up."

I took another step towards the door but her voice stopped me again. This time it was shaking.

"Something bad might've happened...I'm not sure what it means. And I know you're mad at me. But I really do need to show you something as soon as possible. I know it sounds like I'm trying to tell you some sad story to get you to listen to me. But I'm not. In the long run, showing you what I have to might really help me."

I quickly opened the door before she could say anything else. The sight I saw broke my heart. She sat against the wall with her head in her hands. Her red hair was a mess of windblown curls, suggesting she was just outside. She looked so small sitting down there and I wanted nothing more than to hug her. But I knew I couldn't do that...she needed time.

"I'm not mad. I was just...angry at myself I suppose. Go ahead, show me what you have to."

She looked up and I noticed her eyes and cheeks were almost as red as her hair.

"Were you just outside?" I stupidly asked.

"Long story. Please don't ask. Can I just show you what I have to? It'll help everyone I think."

"Go ahead."

She stood up and led me down the hallway, down the now intact staircase, through the house, and to a backyard that I had never been in before. There was a large domed building in the middle of the fenced in garden. She led me toward it, talking the whole way.

"My mom used to love gardening before she got so busy with the department stores. Her favorite flower was the poppy. I think it's the most boring flower in the world."

"What about carnations? Those are pretty boring."

"You know what I mean."

"Well what's your favorite flower then?"

She pointed to a corner of the garden. "The blue Stargazer lily."

The flower seemed to glow. It was blue and purple and stood straight up. It was bigger than any of the other flowers in the garden.

"It's...interesting." I finally said.

"Exactly. Here we are." She gestured me inside.

The building seemed a lot bigger from the inside. It was only one large room with a computer system in the far wall and a projector on the ceiling.

"We call it the Observatory. Fits perfectly with the astronomical theme. This invention only works in some type of domed room. Other than that, there really are no restrictions to what it can do."

Some color had left her cheeks and her eyes were no longer red. She looked absolutely gorgeous in the little amount of light that was in the room. Her eyes seemed to sparkle at the thought of the invention.