9: Electra

I absolutely despise Mondays but for some reason I woke up extra early. I quietly made my way down stairs to get some breakfast before showering. Before I could go back upstairs, my dad came out of his office and stopped me.

"Electra I need your opinion on something." He said, stopping a good five feet away from me.

I raised my eyebrows in surprise. "Sure, I guess."

"As you know, we have our annual Winter Solstice party in a few months. Your mother and I are having issues over what our theme is going to be."

I was dumbfounded. My dad never asked for help with things like that. "Um...shouldn't it be a winter theme?"

"Well yes but there's more to it. Just...here." He thrust a few magazines in my hand. "We've circled the two we're arguing over. I won't tell you who picked what, but ill give you a while to look it over." And then he was back in his office faster than I thought possible.

I quickly showered (my wounds from work looked so much better and I was actually surprised at how quickly they healed) then looked over the two themes as I brushed my teeth. One was "A Winter Night in Paris" and the other was "A Winter Night Under the Stars."

I liked the second choice better. A large disco ball decorated to look like the moon would hang over the dancers and stars sparkled all over the ballroom. Little fairy lights lit the whole room with a warm, cozy, golden light. I definitely chose that one.

After I finished getting ready, I bounded downstairs and knocked on my dads office door. I heard his voice accept my entrance. Upon walking in, I stopped in my tracks and stared. Sitting in one of the leather chairs in front of my dad's desk, was Jace. He turned to look at me and gave me a small smile.

"I like your dress. Isn't it a little cold though?" Jace asked.

I frowned. He was always commenting on my clothes. I didn't want to be rude to one of my dad's men in front of my dad, so I ignored him.

"I picked a theme, dad."

I dropped the magazine in front of him open to the right page. He smiled. I took a step back. I don't think I've seen my dad smile in years.

"That's the one I picked."

"We have good taste, I guess."

"Well if you're ready now, Jace will take you to school."

I turned to leave the room. I had my hand on the doorknob when my dad spoke again.

"We'll have to find you a dress for this year, Electra. We should go shopping after school today, yes?"

I looked at him before smiling slightly. "Of course. That would be fun."

Jace stood up, shook my dad's hand, then put his hand on the small of my back and pushed me gently out of the room. There was a shock of electricity like he had rubbed his feet across the carpet before touching me, but I brushed it away because he didn't seem to feel it. He quietly closed the door behind us and I quickly shoved his hand away.

"Do not touch me."

He didn't say anything. Just smiled a bit, chuckled, and continued walking towards the front doors. I got in the car with him and stared straight ahead.

"C'mon, Electra. You have to like me at some point."

I huffed impatiently. "Don't tell me what I have to do."

"Why do you hate me?"

"Jesus Christ why does everyone ask that?"

"Maybe if you weren't so sharp with everyone then no one would ask that."