Chapter 20 A Day with Prince Charming

Start from the beginning

“This reminds me so much of Saint Remy.” I said raising my wine glass.

“Do you miss Saint Remy?” He asked, holding my gaze. I thought for a moment, “ I miss the good and simple life there but I miss the people here.”

“Let’s travel to Saint Remy. I want to see it.” He said. “Yeah. We should go.” I agreed. Could I be any happier?  I have not gone on an overseas trip with friends but I get to go with my boyfriend.

We went to Columbia University. Dylan showed me where he studies and hangs out. We bumped into some of his classmates Edward and Mitch, who didn’t take a break. They were pretty cool guys. I am glad to note that Dylan has many good friends. I, on the other hand, only managed to keep one. Kendall, my best friend, will be flying in to New York two weeks from now.

“O’Connor, now we know why you would not date any of the girls who run after you.” Edward said. “So, where do you study, Cate? What are you taking up?”  I looked at Dylan to check if it is alright for his friends to know that I am only in high school.

“It is OK.” He said and nodded.

“I will be a senior at Spence.” I said shyly. Edward and Mitch looked surprised. “Oh. Jail bait.” Edward whistled. Mitch scratched his head and sighed. “Where do you plan to study in college then?” He asked. I thought for a moment.

“Hmm. I haven’t really thought about it. I’m interested in taking up business management or visual arts or advertising.” I shrugged. Dylan is smiling and nodding. “She is really good at drawing. You should see her work.” He said proudly.

“I heard arts programs in UCLA are good or Yale Or maybe Stanford.” I added. I noticed Dylan inhale sharply. His smile completely wiped away from his face.  “We have the School of the Art’s Global Programs here.” Edward offered. He must have noticed Dylan’s reaction to what I said.

“Yeah. That too. I don’t know. I still have time to think anyway.” I waved the topic away. I glanced at Dylan whose brows are furrowed again. Uh-oh. I’m in trouble.

“We better get going.” Dylan told his friends and clapped their backs. He looks so serious now than earlier. I really said something wrong.

“See you around, Cate.” Mitch said.

“Nice meeting you.” Edward called out as Dylan and I walked away.

“Same here. See you around.” I called out.

~*~

We ended up in Dylan’s apartment in Morningside Heights. It is a few minute walk from campus. It is an eleven storey building with balconies and roof top gardens.

Dylan has not spoken to me since we left the company of his friends. I did not attempt to talk to him either because I know he is not in a good mood. I’ll try later when we are inside. He led me up to the unit he shares with Chuck, another one of his friends.

We walked in to a neat, minimalist apartment. You could easily tell that men live here. There are no decors or furnishings that would say otherwise. The place is clean and tidy. I immediately walked over to the windows to check out the view. I could see a park and a neat garden below. I smiled tentatively at Dylan. I did not know what got him riled up in the first place.

“Your place is cool. It is neat. Who cleans up?” I inquired. I picked up a men’s magazine and I made a face. “Yours?”

Dylan chuckled and walked over to me, taking the magazine from my hand. “Nope. This is Chuck’s.” He said, tossing the magazine inside a drawer. “We try to clean up. If it gets out of hand, we ask for help. Jessie sends someone to clean.”