18

Robert stared at Carina from where he sat in the lounge, amongst all of his other friends on the football team. This was where he usually ate lunch—but he'd never seen her there. She was alone, while everyone else in the Delta group sat at another table. He wondered if they'd forced her to sit there, or she'd chosen to. Likely the latter—he knew the last thing Carina wanted was to be with those girls.

He bit his lip. She was eating a sandwich and staring at the table while listening to music through headphones. He couldn't tell if she was sad or not, but she didn't look bothered by the fact that she was the only one who sat alone in the cafeteria. In the corner of the room, standing next to Mr. Vespucci, Mats gazed her way, too; but only every few moments before he continued his conversation with the math teacher.

Robert wondered if Carina had confronted Bridgette about their sisterhood, or Mr. Vespucci about the fact that he was her father. He wondered if she wanted to. All of his thoughts were halted by Marco, who snapped in his face.

"What do you think, Robert?"

"Uh—what?" Robert dropped his fork, then glanced at Marco.

"About Carina. We're betting on the guys she's hooked up with since she's gotten here."

Robert frowned slightly. "What makes you think she's hooked up with anyone?"

"Have you seen her? Why wouldn't I think she has?"

Robert scoffed. "What, so a short skirt means she's hooked up with several different guys? I don't get it."

Julian snorted. "Well, I guess we know that Robert isn't one of them."

Robert let out an angry breath. He hated it when anyone challenged his masculinity, or his abilities. "I have hooked up with her. You guys, on the other hand—"

Julian rose his eyebrows. "Wait, wait, wait. What? You hooked up with her—and didn't tell anyone about it?"

"Why would I? You guys don't need to know my business."

"Well, now that you've claimed to have done this, you have to tell us about it. When? Where?"

Robert closed his eyes, then sighed. "The library. It was a few days back—"

"—What are you guys talking about?" Alessandro went to the empty spot across from where Robert sat and dropped his lunch on the table before sitting there, blocking the Pole's view of Carina.

Robert opened his mouth. "Nothing—"

Marco interrupted. "Robert was telling us about the time he hooked up with Carina. Apparently, they did it in the library."

Alessandro froze. He looked up at Robert, squinted, and spoke. "Is that so, Robert?"

Robert's eyes widened. He shot Marco a glare, then looked at Alessandro. "I'm not talking to you," He declared. "And I won't speak on the matter any further."

"Fine," Responded Alessandro. "Then you don't have to. But we will."

Julian snickered. "What are you, Alessandro? Jealous? Are you and Carina even a thing anymore?"

Alessandro frustratedly unwrapped a sandwich. "She's being distant with me."

"Hm," Robert retorted, sarcastically. "I wonder why."

Alessandro shot him a glare. "I thought you weren't talking to me."

"I changed my mind."

"Are you done acting half your age? I have a lunch to eat."