7

ROBERT

Robert had been in his bedroom getting dressed when Julian appeared in his doorframe, smiling slyly—like he knew something Robert didn't. Right away, Robert stopped sifting through his drawers and frowned. He hated secrets. "What are you smirking about, Julian?"

"The Italian girl is here to see you. God, she's hot. But—she's too good for you, Robert."

Robert stood up and yawned. On the inside, he grew slightly nervous. What could make Carina voluntarily come to see me? Disregarding the fact that he was still buttoning up his shirt, he trotted down the staircase, then stared at her.

She looked curious as she stood with one leg crossed over the other; her hands behind her back. On her body she wore a white wrap dress that flattered her small waist to hip ratio, and on her feet were matching white heels. She looked oddly pure—like an angel. She even had a white silk ribbon holding her hair in a tight ballerina bun. Robert opened his mouth, managing to speak. "I heard you wanted to see me."

Carina shifted her weight onto her left leg. "Yes, well, I wanted to ask you something. And since you were on the way to the chapel, I figured—"

"What did you want to ask me?" Robert finished buttoning up his shirt. Suddenly, every boy in the house had decided that they had business in the foyer—they were all, of course, just staring at Carina.

Carina looked at Robert, then blushed a little. Robert snorted. She wanted privacy. "Are you going to mass this morning?"

She nodded. "Are you?"

"Yes. We can walk together."

"I'll wait outside." Carina turned around, opened the door, and stepped out. The attention she'd been receiving was nice; but she couldn't help but feel intimidated by twelve other teenage boys hungrily staring at her.

Robert rushed upstairs and instantly changed everything. He had never put much effort into outfits for mass, or anything, really—he knew girls wanted him regardless—but having Carina there made him want to look at least decent by his standards.

Once he was done changing, he rushed back downstairs. Carina was still standing on the patio, quietly observing the campus life as other students headed towards the chapel to attend mass. "Okay," he spoke, "let's go."

She turned back to face him. Without speaking, she gave him a once over. A weird feeling ran through his veins—it was self consciousness. She only turned the corners of her lips up into a polite smile before speaking. "I need your help in math."

Robert laughed. "That's why you wanted to talk to me? For Christ's sake, Carina, I thought it was something important."

"This is important! I am failing and don't understand anything. Mr. Vespucci said that if I don't get help, he won't cut me any slack."

"And who told you I was the person to come to?"

Carina sighed. "Marco did. Then all of my housemates said that you tutored them, too."

Robert laughed again. "Oh, I tutored them, alright." He grinned, then looked at the sky. "Look, Carina. I would love to help you. But what's in it for me? I'm so busy these days. Why should I sacrifice my time to help you, a girl who despises me and thinks I'm an asshole?"

"Did I say you were an asshole? I was only kidding." Carina offered a toothy smile.

Robert shrugged a shoulder. "Tutors are a dime a dozen. Everyone around here is a genius, anyways." Are you crazy, Robert? This is Carina we're talking about! She might just be the most beautiful girl you've laid eyes on. And besides, you know how this whole tutoring thing usually goes...Robert sighed. They were nearing the chapel. All of the other students were going in, too. "Fine, I'll do it—"