Prologue

Even residual traces of Fire, Debt, and EnemiesKeep multiplying insidiously;So, annihilate all of them completely!---The pyre lit by Rani Devasena continued burning brilliantly

Keep multiplying insidiously;
So, annihilate all of them completely!
-
-
-
The pyre lit by Rani Devasena continued burning brilliantly. She had spent twenty-five years of her life accumulating logs and twigs to make this bed of fire for her tormentor Bhallaladeva. Bhallaladeva, the man who had destroyed her entire life was going up in these flames.

Both the land of Mahishmati and she had rejected him and threw their lot with his worthier and more amiable brother, Amarendra Baahubali. After Amarendra was gone, there had been nobody to stand for her and Mahishmati. She fondly reminisced her Amarendra's words, "If a hand falls on my Devasena's honor and self-esteem, it is equivalent to falling on my sword." He had been so fiercely protective of her.

After his death, Bhallaladeva, the mindless tyrant had trodden both her and this magnificent kingdom of Mahishmati to dust beneath his feet. There they had lain, writhing for twenty-five years until her son, Mahendra Baahubali came to avenge her and his motherland. As the flames leapt up towards the skies and crackled, a strange sense of satisfaction pervaded her wounded and scarred soul.

Looking at her son, Mahendra whose eyes were burning with red-hot rage and vengeance, Devasena said, "There rots the man who took away my husband and your father away from you. It was because of this man that your mother never got to nurture and see your childhood and your father never got to see you even a single time. It was because of him your true identity and destiny were snatched away from you. Are you watching this, Mahendra?"

"I am, Mother. I wouldn't miss this even for the Heaven!" Mahendra replied.

Bijjaladeva, Bhallaladeva's father tried to rush to the aid of his son, "Bhalla, my son. I'll save you..."

Bijjaladeva was forcibly held back by Kattappa and the others. With tears in his eyes, Bijjaladeva howled, "All of you will pay. You will."

Everyone gave him a disparaging look at this point before dismissing his empty threats to one corner of their minds. Who cares about the croaks of a venomous snake that had just been defanged!

Kattappa turned to the soldiers beside him, "Shove him into the high security prison of Mahishmati. The first thing tomorrow morning will be Maharaj Mahendra's coronation ceremony as the king of Mahishmati. We'll then discuss how to deal with this nuisance."

After Bijjaladeva was dragged away from the scene, the mother and son sat for long in silent communion witnessing the sight that unfolded in front of them. Kattappa's eyes glistened looking at both of them. In a sense, he too was equally responsible for their loss. He thought within himself for the nth time, "If only I hadn't..."

But this prick, this guilt, this thorn on his side would stay with him until his last breath. His job was accomplished. He had seen to it that the rightful heir to the throne was restored to his full rights. Kattappa was about to slip away into the shadows when Devasena noticed his actions, "I forgive you Kattappa. Long ago I asked a promise from you. Today, I seek another from you."

Kattappa stopped in his tracks, "You really have a big heart. But this is my punishment."

"You are my sinner. Only I have the right to determine your punishment, not you", Devasena replied. "My son is a king by birth. Kingliness runs in his veins but he doesn't know much about kingship or administering a kingdom the way his father could. He wasn't brought up to it. Can you be that friend, philosopher and guide to him in this new journey? Or am I asking too much from you? Do not let me down this time?"

"I will sacrifice my life before I let you down this time, Devasena!" Kattappa gave a solemn promise. "And Kattappa never fails his word!"
-
-
-
The funeral pyre had crackled the whole of that evening and night. A little before the dawn, the fire had almost died down. The next morning, Kattappa was inspecting the ramparts, the internal defenses and the general environs as a preparatory towards ensuring everything was in readiness for the coronation ceremony.

Kattappa spoke within himself, "What a nice and peaceful sleep I had!" Just then, the almost extinguished pyre swam into his line of vision. A ghastly and unholy sight it was!

He accosted the janitor who was cleaning up the mess, "This fire is almost spent out. When you are done with your other duties, clean this up. We do not want anything more in Mahishmati to remind us of that Rakshas. Immerse the remains in the holy waters of Bhagiradhi."

The janitor acquiesced, "Of course! I will set out immediately to the banks of Bhagiradhi with these remains. None of us want even a shadow of that accursed past to taint our bright present and future."

Katappa responded, "Good!"
-
-
-
Author's Note: I am a first timer on Wattpad. This is my first story on this platform. I am not au courant with the ins and outs of Wattpad. Please vote and comment on this story if you think it is worth it.