Cancer (Short Story)

(Marshall's POV)
"Marshall." A familiar yet unknown voice whispered to me.

I stood leaning against the door frame of my girlfriends hospital room, and sadly picked my head up to looked at her.

"Come here." She ordered sternly, but there was kindness in her voice.

I moved my feet weakly and collapsed on my knees next to her bed. My sadness became too unbearable as I cried into the sheets of her bed. She softly took her hand and comforted me by running her fingers threw my short stubby brown hair.

"I don't want you to go, you have so much to live for, I can't live without you-."

She shushed me, "Marshall, I don't want to go either, but whatever happens happens. Please, I know this is hard."

I shook my head rapidly denying the thought, "You're going to live."

She smiled softly and moved her hand from my head to my cheek, "I will always be with you. I'm in photographs, memories, and you're heart."

I smiled back and ran my finger gently down her cheek bone. "My life will never be the same without you."

"I know it won't be. But I'm going to be everywhere you go and in everything see. I'm going to be in the sky, the flowers growing threw the sidewalks, the small acts of kindness granted to you. I'm everywhere, all you have to do is look." She whispered.

I smiled softly at her and got up off my feet and bent down giving her a kiss. Her lips where chapped and the color of her beautiful face was starting to fade.

"Spread you're wings as you go, say hello to Proof for me." I choked trying to hold back my tears back. "When God takes his angel back I bet he's gonna throw one hell of a party."

She grabbed my face and kissed my nose, "I will always be you're angel too."

Tears dropped off my nose and face landing on her pale skin. Her hands  loosened and fell from my face.

"Harper?" I cried, no response came from her mouth.

I looked at her heart monitor and her heart beat was slowing down.

"Doctor, Doctor!" I screamed, "No No No, Harper. Don't leave me." I cried grabbing her small face.

"I will always love you." She whispered as I watched her chest come up and slowly down for the last time.
-----

"Harper Madeline Roland was... she was more that just another woman to me... she... she was a miracle from God. She was an angel, my angel. I never knew that one day I would walk into the Hip Hop shop and meet her. During all the years of our friendship I would have never guessed I would get a call from Denaun informing me that.... the woman I love... was dying of cancer. She told me during the last moments of her life that she would be everywhere. In the sky, photos, memories, and in our hearts. What I never got to tell her that day was how much I love her. I'm not sure I'm going to ever find another woman like her. Even though we didn't have the best first meeting.. she accepted me. She didn't just accept me for my outward appearance, she accepted me for me. She didn't look at me as if I was the best guy in the Hip Hop Shop, she took the time to see the real me. Standing here right now, I know Harper and Proof are probably drinking a beer or two up in heaven having a good ole time. Even though I never got to say it to her face, I love you girl. Thanks for being such a trust worthy friend." I sniffed.

I knew giving my speech would make me cry along with people in the audience. I didn't even worry about putting up a front cause I knew if Harper were here she would have smacked me upside the head. I stepped slowly down the podium and over to her open casket. As I looked down I smiled seeing the beautiful face I've grown to love.

"I love you Harp. You better not get into any trouble up there, and don't forget to say hi to Proof for me." I whispered softly.
-----
It's been two long months without Harper. My outward appearance has changed, but I'm not worried about that. As I drove drove around Detroit to go to the studio, I looked out the window with my headphones on. I was listening to Harper's favorite song; Hallelujah. Looking out the window I looked at the sky and noticed the sun was breaking threw the clouds. I removed my eyes from the sky and quickly glanced at the sidewalk. My eyes soon landed onto a single flower growing between the cracks of the stony pathway. I smiled softly to myself and looked back up the the beautiful sky.

"I do see you in everything I do." I whispered.

I dug in my pocket and took out the picture of me Harper and D12. Including Buggs, and Proof. The two members we had lost.

"What a blessed day to be alive." I said smiling as I traced Harper's photographed face with my index finger.