Safe Passage

Picture to the right is Lashwin

Zane frowned at my sudden departure, “Alright St. Clair, but I will try to see you once more before we leave.” He shouted at my retreating back. But I had no time to make friendly banter. I had to worn Flynn and the others that officers were here and looking to take us into custody.

“What are we going to?” Sara asked with worry lacing through her voice.

“We find Flynn” I answered as I dodged sailors left and right.

“I think Argo mentioned that the man they were going to see was a horseman” Sara said hopelessly.

“Horseman? Then they must be by the stables.” I said quickly as we made our way in the direction all while wind viscously blew our hair about.

As we rushed towards the stables that I had followed Castor and his friends to as a child, a weird sense of déjà vu came over me. Except I hadn’t been running with a beautiful blue eyed mermaid, instead I had been running with Andrela, my childhood friend.

I remember Castor and his horde of followers were always forbidding us to play with them and that girls were in no way able to foot race and beat boys. I, of course had lost every single race, but Andrela was another matter entirely. Anything the boys did, she made it her mission to beat them. I was never very nimble or lithe, which pushed me into the place of being her partner.

“Is that it just up ahead?” Sara panted from beside me. I looked up to where she was pointing and indeed, there stood the now shabby stables. The building itself looked as if it were falling where it stood. The once magnificent building looked as if in were in dire need of some help from several expert builders and carpenters.

“Yes, and look! There’s Lashwin.” I almost shouted as I recognized his bright red hair.

Sara and I began our tiring descent up the hill. Within minutes we were rushing towards Lashwin who sat in front of the door cleaning his fingernails with a dagger.

“La-Lashwin!” I panted in between breaths. “We must go immediately”

Lashwin glanced up at us, “What the bloody hell happened to you two? You could have at least fixed your hair a little before venturing into daylight” he snickered.

I reached out and smacked him over the head, “Lashwin listen you idiot! The law is unto us! We need to get back to the ship.” I said angrily.

Lashwin’s eyes widened before he jumped up and scrambled through the door behind him. Sara and I hastily followed. As soon as we all spilled into the musty dark room, I covered my mouth to keep from sneezing due to dust.

“Adeline get out!” Flynn yelled at me.

I blinked as my eyes focused on several silhouettes littered around the room, “Flynn what for? I have something to tell you. It is of the upmost importance!” I nearly screeched.