28: Vren

The drive to the hospital wasn't that long, but I was feeling exhausted. It must be because of nerves, though. Throughout the drive, I was watching Mira from my peripheral vision, wanting to be sure she's not getting any worse.

Nang makarating kami sa AMMC ay inalalayan ko si Mira sa pagbaba mula sa kotse, saka inakay papasok sa ospital.

Sinalubong kami ng isang nurse. "Sir, any emergency?"

"Please check on her. I think there's something wrong with her breathing."

The nurse led us to a room, and I watched as she attended to Mira, asking about her condition in a gentle manner. Mukha namang nag-normalize na ang paghinga niya, but as I am not a medical professional, I couldn't really know for sure. For one, she still looked pale to me, and I took that to mean she's still not a hundred percent okay.

I stepped out of the room, intending to call Lally to update her that I won't be returning to the office anytime soon. Sakto namang dumaan si Vince. My brother was wearing his doctor's coat, and he had a grave expression on, which was replaced by a surprised look when he noticed me.

"Vren? What are you doing here?"

"I'm here with Mira. She hyperventilated, so I brought her here to get her checked."

"Mira hyperventilated?"

"That's what I said."

"But why?"

I shrugged. "Stress, I guess. Anxiety. You're the doctor, though. Don't take my word for it."

Vince rolled his eyes. "Where is she? I want to see her."

I jerked my thumb to the direction of the room behind me, and Vince made a motion to enter it. But before he could do so, I found myself gripping his arm tightly.

"Bro, back off. She's mine."

****

It's nearly evening. Here I am, driving Mira home. She's fast asleep, her head resting against the window of the car's passenger side.

I, on the other hand, was left wide awake, thinking of how I acted a while ago at the hospital — specifically the moment when I told Vince to back off.

"Come again?" my brother's expression was more than surprised — it was incredulity.

"You heard me," I answered him with a stony expression. "Now, go check on her to make sure she's okay."

To be frank, I don't know what in the world made me say those words. Pero wala rin naman akong nararamdamang gulat o pagsisisi dahil sa sinabi kong 'yon. It was as if I really meant to say such thing from the start.

Yeah, no regrets — even though I just started a silent war against my brother, over a woman.

I found it funny, though, because I kept on convincing myself that I didn't like Mirathea Custodio.

But what if I actually do?

I found it annoying, how Mira unknowingly gave me these multitude of feelings. And it's confusing, the realization that this dummy I first met while I was speeding along a highway, racing for time, has two sides.

The first side is the usual Mira — loud, violent, and highly annoying. Of all the people I've met, siya lang ang tanging naglakas-loob na sigawan ako at tawagin ako nang kung anu-ano. It was just barely a month ago at kung noong una, kapag naaalala ko ang kabaliwan ng babaeng ito, gusto ko siyang ipatapon sa outer space. Seriously. Pero ngayon, napapangiti na lang ako habang inaalala ang first encounter namin.

Mira's other side is the one giving me trouble right now — her being a clumsy, sickly, innocent girl. Malay ko bang behind that annoying creature is a damsel in distress? And it's funny how everytime she's in the middle of an undesirable circumstance, I was the only one available to rescue her.

Me taking her to the hospital on that blustering Monday morning even when I can easily leave her fuming at the highway. My noble act of hiring her as the AD head despite all the hassle she caused me, and all the insults she threw at me. The following Monday, I even went all the way to her apartment in an attempt to give her a ride to Medialink. And of course, this recently-concluded hyperventilation fiasco.

It's like being a knight in shining armor. It feels stupid, but everytime I see this other side of Mira, I can't help but soften towards her.

One second she had me grinning like crazy, seeing her staring at my underwear like an ignorant; the next moment she nearly gave me a heart attack with her weird breathing and all.

Thanks a lot, Mira. Sarcasm included.

The traffic light went red so I had to stop the car. Again, I allowed myself to look at her, so peaceful while sleeping. Napailing ako habang tinitingnan kung gaano kahimbing ang tulog niya. Kanina, may kung anong gamot na ibinigay sa kanya, and I guess that's the reason why Mira's sleeping like a rock right now. I remember Vince telling me that there are certain drugs that cause sleepiness when taken.

I don't know what's with this silly, blustering, annoying woman... But she's giving me this mixed-up feeling I cannot have a grasp on.