Chapter 39: Summer Approaches

Alis had been born on April 18, nearly two weeks early, though you'd never have known it, given the fact that she was seven pounds, two ounces, which was a completely normal and lovely weight for a baby. And once Scout's milk came in, a few days later, Alis began to gain weight at an astonishing rate, jumping to eleven pounds by the time she was four weeks old, and doubling her birth weight to fourteen pounds by the time she was two months old at the end of June.

Life rolled along in a state of unrivaled joy for George. He'd never known such happiness in all his years. And he knew he wasn't the only one. Once, he watched as Scout began to cry as she was nursing Alis in the lounge, the tears just coming unannounced from nowhere as she held their baby to her bosom.

"What's wrong?" he asked, sitting next to her and laying his arm along the back of the couch. Bess, too, sensitive to Scout's moods as only a fellow nursing mother could be, came to sniff anxiously at her lap. "Does it hurt?"

Scout shook her head, sniffing, trying to wipe her eyes on her shoulder. George quickly grabbed a tissue and took care of the general leaky misery while looking into her pale blue eyes, which were still wet.

"It's so stupid," she began, which was her typical response to her own tears. "I feel like such an idiot." She looked at George, eyes glossy, twisting his heart. "I keep remembering Will, and what he said, you know?"

George pursed his lips, nodding curtly.

"And I'm so fucking happy that I can do this, that I'm good at it, that I can feed her, and she likes it," she said with a little shrug, her mouth turning up slightly at the corners in that way that melted George's insides.

"Oh my god, darling, of course she likes it," he returned earnestly, leaning forward, grasping her shoulder. "You're her mum, you're the most important person in her life." He brushed her hair from her eyes. "You're connected in the most primordial way." He shook his head at her, smiling. He leaned back, cuddling them into himself, and Bess jumped up, scooting into his other side and they sat, enjoying being together.

"We all like it, if I'm honest," he added with a smile, which made Scout snort with laughter. He was referring to something very amusing which had happened a few nights ago.

After childbirth, of course, there was a six week waiting period before Scout and George could resume their regular bedroom activities; at the beginning, this was not a problem, since nothing could have been farther from their minds. All they could think about was Alis. And Scout, of course, was in a lot of pain, and recovering physically from what her body had been through took some time.

However, she was young, and healthy, and eventually the time came when she was feeling fine, and Alis was sleeping in her crib next door, and she and George had turned to each other in their nice, big bed, and kissed each other, and instead of drifting into comfortable sleep, the kissing had deepened to something more, and George had finally pulled away in frustration, saying, "Fuck me, I thought new mums were supposed to smell like pablum and constantly be talking about nappies and such? How can you be so hot?"

"George, I'm breast feeding, why would I smell like pablum?" Scout murmured, leaning in to kiss him again. He responded for a minute, before stopping again, sitting up finally to get away from her ardor.

"No, Scout, stop, this is making me crazy, please!" he begged.

"Well, what should we do?" she asked, sitting up herself. "I mean, we have three more weeks before we're allowed to have sex, you know? You want to just not do anything?" She leaned in and pecked his cheek. "Or should we just take care of you, hm?" She reached in and grabbed him, making him close his eyes and groan.