Chapter 20: A Trip To The Village

"So, looks like your baby will be born around April 30th," Dr. Summerville said with a smile. "I put you at about eight or nine weeks, based on the information you've been able to provide, and everything looks lovely and normal."

George had driven Scout in to the village of Point Rosen, where Alfred and Sunil lived. He'd offered to go to London to find a more modern Ob-Gyn, or even to move there for the duration of Scout's pregnancy, but Scout had scoffed at this idea.

"The whole idea is that we want to build this really wonderful life together here, right?" she asked, looking at George. "At Farraway Mist? Out in the country? With the yard, and the ocean and everything?"

George had averted his eyes as he nodded, wondering if Scout had just forgotten about all the strange things that had happened since she'd arrived, especially how she'd nearly stepped off a cliff in the middle of the night while "sleepwalking"?

"Besides," Scout continued reasonably, "Alfred says Dr. Summerville is wonderful, and she delivered him and all of his brothers and sisters."

"Oh, well, if that's what Alfred says," George said drily, stroking Scout's hair.

"Are you making fun of me?" Scout asked, eyes narrowed.

"Never," George replied, eyes wide.

So they'd made an appointment and driven to the picturesque seaside town, knowing that their days of remaining an anonymous couple were probably numbered.

"Now, obviously as your physician, I'll keep everything confidential on my end, and tourist season is ending here in the village, but you're still a very popular fellow, Mr. Wilder, you must know that," Dr. Summerville continued, taking a seat as she spoke to them.

George nodded, saying, "Please, call me George."

Dr. Summerville nodded. "Very well, George. I'm just saying that, try as we might, chances are, news of your pregnancy is going to get out, and you need to prepare for that, okay?" She looked back and forth between George and Scout. "I certainly don't mind to come to Farraway Mist for your monthly check-ups if it comes to that, I want you to know, though if I see a need for a more thorough follow up, I will have to ask you to come here to my office."

"Thank you, Doctor, that's so kind of you," Scout said. "I'm sure that won't be necessary, though, will it, George?" She looked at George.

He shrugged uneasily. He hadn't been in the public eye in a few years, but he remembered how crazy it could get. "Let's just see how things go, okay?" He smiled at Scout as reassuringly as he could.

"Okay, then," the doctor said briskly, rising. "I'll call in some prescriptions and have them delivered this afternoon, or send them out with the Patel boy. Sunil works for you, right? His brother works at the chemist's, so that might be more convenient, I think. One of the perks of life in a small village." She smiled at the couple and saw them out.

Scout stood and waited while he filled out some papers and paid for something.

The two women, a redhead and a brunette, had given her one, brief look, and dismissed her, obviously believing her to be of no import. Scout noticed that the pretty receptionists in the front office were dying to talk to George, though, and were making all kinds of very friendly eye contact with him. They were practically taking their clothes off as they smiled at him. This was infuriating. Who did they think she was, anyway? This was an Ob-Gyn's office, for crying out loud, and George had brought her.

There had been some issues with her health insurance, and everything was closed in the States or something, so George had to step in and pay for everything, which already bothered her, but watching the two women preen and flirt with George was just icky. At the same time, both of them, hair sprayed perfectly into place, lips and eyes painted on, looked Scout over, from head to toe, taking in her long, straight hair, unmade-up face, boyish figure and plain clothes, and obviously dismissed her as completely unworthy of their time. They even looked at each other, brows raised in unspoken communication that was clear as day: What was George Wilder doing with such a creature?