Chapter 4: A Bump in the Night

Scout performed her going to bed routine ("ablutions", she thought to herself with a smile as she washed her face and brushed her teeth) and got in bed, surprised by how comfortable it was. The high, old-fashioned bed was gigantic, looked like it could sleep at least four really tall people, and looked as though it would also be hard and bumpy, instead of which it was a soft well of comfort, covered with a lovely-smelling Egyptian cotton sheet set and a fluffy down comforter.

She pulled out her laptop, but couldn't get a signal, so she put both it and her phone away for the night. The remote for the TV was on the little table next to her bed, so she clicked it on, wondering what kind of reception they got way out here, or even what kind of TV shows were available in England.

A DVD began to play, and Scout, who was hopeless with technology of any kind, hoped it wasn't a porno, as she wasn't sure she could turn it off, or how loud it would be. But it was of someone's wedding, it looked like. It looked like Farraway Mist, on a gorgeous sunny day. The ocean was sparkling in the background, and all the guests were dressed in their Sunday best, everyone more beautiful than the person before.

The camera zoomed in on a younger looking George Wilder, looking spectacular in a tux, standing next to a truly stunning blonde, the famous Tessa Richardson-Wilder herself. Well, she was probably still just Tessa Richardson when this DVD was made. She was in a strapless satin gown that showed a daring amount of perfect cleavage, with seed pearls sewn all over it, that pinched in to an improbable hourglass waist.

They looked incredible together, they matched in that improbably perfect way, as some superstar couples did. They had eyes only for each other, and spoke their vows in reverent, loving tones.

"I, Tessa Elaine, take you, George Alan, to be my lawfully wedded husband, from this day forward, to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer, until death do us part."

"I, George Alan, take you, Tessa Elaine, to be my lawfully wedded wife, from this day forward, to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer, until death do us part."

Then George took Tessa in his arms and dipped her, giving her a very R rated NSFW kiss as the onlookers clapped, whistled and cheered. George, looking more carefree than the George Scout had met that day, finally stood Tessa up, released her, presented her to the assembly and bowed himself. She dropped a charming curtsey, smiling a million watt smile.

Wow.

Bemused, Scout finally figured out how to turn the TV off and tried to go to sleep. She'd been fighting her jet lag and fatigue all afternoon, but she was now, of course, perversely, wide awake. She tossed and turned for a while, and briefly contemplated getting out of bed, but she realized she didn't know where anything was, and didn't know what she'd do even if she knew where to go.

Eventually she fell into a kind of fitful sleep, but suddenly came wide awake in complete darkness, unsure for a moment where she was.

Something was in the bed with her.

She lay completely still, not even breathing, and she felt it again, the thing that had awakened her.

Something was moving, down near her foot. Under the comforter. As long as she didn't move, it didn't move, but every time she moved, she felt a corresponding movement down there.

Soft.

Stealthy.

Scout didn't know how long she lay there without moving, but it felt like hours. She could hear her heart hammering in her ears, feel it pounding in her chest. Her foot twitched, completely out of her control, and the comforter jumped, at least eight inches away from where her foot was.