Chapter 34: Last Minute Preparations

George wondered over the next few weeks what he'd been thinking to blithely agree to the addition of three needy dogs to their household, especially when Scout was nearing the end of her pregnancy and they were nowhere near ready for the baby, and they weren't sure the frightening occurrences at Farraway Mist had come to an end.

As February came and went, Scout continued to get bigger at an astonishing rate, to the point where they both sometimes wondered if there weren't two babies inside her. She continued to plug away at the library, with Sunil and Alfred by her side, while George transformed the small room next to theirs where Scout used to sleep into a nursery, often pulling the boys to help him. 

Every so often, Scout would dash off to the utility room at the back of the kitchen to check on Bess, which is what they'd named the black mother dog, and Harry and Hermione, her pups. George had objected to these names, saying that it was vaguely incestuous and wrong to name a brother and sister after this famous, non-related literary hero and heroine, but Scout had overruled him, pointing out that they'd never been romantically involved, and that they were fictitious, anyway. Plus, the boy dog had a mark on his dark forehead that looked kind of like a lightning bolt, and the girl dog was very fluffy and Hermione-like. 

Bandit, naturally, was very curious about these new additions to the household, and seemed to feel very paternal about them. At first, Scout tried to keep everyone apart, but one night, Bandit managed to get the door open, and George found him the next morning, curled up next to Bess and the puppies, and everyone seemed to be getting along just fine, so they just let everyone live together after that.

And the puppies and Bess thrived, much to Scout's delight.

"George, look!" she cried out from the utility room one morning. He came from the kitchen to see. "Their eyes are completely open now! How beautiful!" She held up a puppy for George to admire.

"You are completely beautiful," he murmured, pulling both her and the puppy in to kiss. "And fuck me, absolutely enormous, Jesus," he added, when he realized he couldn't get his arms around her. "Where are we, now, thirty-five weeks?"

"Something like that," she responded. "I feel like I'm about to explode, honestly." She put the puppy down. "I have to pee, like, every two minutes, George, and I'm hungry all the time, but I can only eat two bites before I'm full."

"Poor you," he commiserated," kissing her again.

"And I'm so, fucking, horny," she said, pressing George against the washing machine so she could kiss him really hard. 

"I know, I know," he replied, smiling, putting his hands on her hips. "Very nice for me, if I'm honest."

"Really?" She peered earnestly at him, shifting her hair out of her eyes so she could stare at him. "You're not just saying that? You're not secretly tired of fucking your girlfriend who's the size of a barge and as sexy as, oh, I don't know, a hairy old man peeling hard-boiled-eggs?"

George burst out laughing. "What? Is that an American saying?"

Scout thought about it, stroking George's jaw. "No, I don't know, it just struck me as a particularly unsexy image," she finally said, shrugging.

George moved his hands to her bottom, rubbing comfortably. "Well, you're right, it's a horrid image, darling. Luckily, you're nothing like that." He slid his hand under her top, running it up her front so he could give her breast a friendly squeeze. "You, love, are the sexiest thing in the world, exactly as you are, and if your center of gravity weren't all wonky, I'd suggest a quick shag right here, right now." And he leaned forward to nibble gently on her ear. "However, I'm a grown man, and I can wait until tonight, when we're in bed, okay?" He smiled and released her.