Chapter 14: Doing Something About It

George sat back, eyes wide.

"George Wilder, are you scared of me?" Scout asked, eyes merry, picking up her wine glass and taking a drink.

George picked his up, too, draining it in one, panicked gulp and setting it down, much too close to the edge of the table. Scout moved it to a safer place, shaking her head.

"Scout?" George asked, looking at her carefully.

"Yes George?" she responded playfully.

"Are you drunk, by any chance?" he asked, glancing at her wine glass.

Scout laughed, a reassuring sound that George loved. "Jesus, George, of course not! My great-uncle owns a vineyard in Massachusetts, and I've been drinking his vintages since I was thirteen! It would take a lot more than four glasses of chardonnay to get me drunk." She leaned forward, and George could smell her honeysuckle hair and warm breath, which quickened his heartbeat.

"You don't have to worry about taking advantage of me, if that's what's on your mind," she said softly, seriously.

She looked into his eyes. "Look at me, George, look at me. Do I seem impaired to you? Am I saying weird things or slurring my words?"

He shook his head, and she shook hers in agreement.

"No, I'm not. You are, a bit, though," she said, smiling a small smile. "So maybe this isn't a good idea, then, hm?" She patted his arm. "I wouldn't want you to do anything you'd regret, you know?" She looked at him, eyebrows raised.

He began to nod, then stopped abruptly as the meaning of her words hit him. "What? No, wait a minute! I'm fine, you! I'm not pissed, if that's what you're thinking!" he said indignantly, sitting up, blinking at her.

Once again, Scout burst out laughing, though, thankfully, this time she didn't snarf any wine.

"You know, I'd feel better about things in general if you didn't spontaneously burst out laughing at me at odd moments," George said seriously, leaning forward.

"Sorry, so sorry," Scout said contritely, sniffing copiously, looking around the room and trying to gain control of her laughter.

"Okay, okay, I'm good, I'm good," she said hopefully, looking at him once more. She took him in, from his beautiful eyes, still looking indignantly at her as he sat up tensely, his arm leaning on the back of the couch, to his long legs, one tucked under the other, beautiful thighs flexed in his Manchester United sweats.

Scout leaned forward, resting the slim fingers of her right hand on his calf, turning her head as she moved her body slowly toward George. She touched her cheek softly against his, causing his eyes to flutter shut at the sensation of her skin touching him. She pressed her lips against his jaw, just under his ear, giving him a gentle kiss, letting him feel the warmth of her breath, the wetness of her mouth, and hear the sound of her lips. She moved slowly along his jaw, getting closer and closer to his mouth, as his hand moved off the back of the couch and found her hair, pressing her head closer to him.

She waited to see what he would do, and, as she hoped, he turned his head to meet her mouth with his, fastening his lips to hers softly, making a little sound through his nose as he did, a small moan of delight and contentment.

He moved his other arm around her waist, anchoring her to him, as he opened his mouth slightly on hers. He pulled his head back a little before moving in again, and Scout could feel him sucking on her bottom lip as he pulled her closer, and holy fuck it felt so sexy. Next she felt his wet tongue licking gently along her lips, and she parted them for him. Feeling his warm tongue in her mouth made her feel so swoony she thought she might just fall right off the couch.