Chapter Four: I am a reaper.

Start from the beginning

"He has a point." I glared at him and poked him in the arm, causing him to freeze for a second.

"What the hell?! Don't use your powers on me! And he's right. Whether you wanna you want to except it or not, none of us are humans Lolita. We are born as reapers, its who we are." He got up and left me alone to think. There was no way I was going to school like this, so I have all day to think this out.

I know I'm a reaper, that much is obvious. But that doesn't mean I can't be human too, can it? I looked at my hand, I don't know if I can handle being a reaper after all. I miss my skin, my blood, I can't do this. 

"MOM!" She opened my door and looked at me with a smile.

"What is it dear?"

"Where's dad?"

"He went to your school, today is guradian's day. I was on my way there now." Crap! I forgot about guardians day.

"Mom, please help me turn back. How does dad do it?"

"I don't know sweet heart. What did your father tell you?" I sighed in frustration and laid back down. "Lolita, your father wants you to realize how much potential you have. Unlocking your powers early, knowing death's law before you knew how to ride a bike. Lolita, you have the makings to be a great reaper. I'm not saying your brother won't make a good one too. But why give up when you have so much talent for it?"

"Let me ask you something mom. What was it about dad that made you give up being an angel?" She looked at me, and a smile spread on her blood red lips.

"When I was an angel I was sent to collect a soul from your father, and bring it back with me. I had hear tales of how powerful and frightening your father was, so I will admit I was scared myself. But when I went I finally saw him with my own eyes...it was as if something awoke in me that day. I was drawn to him, like if he had a hold on my soul. I could not get him out of my head since then, he was all I could think about. So it was not hard for me to give my wings for him. Lolita, just think about what your father said. Your father may be death, but he is not completely heartless."

She also left me alone after that. At the very least, I didn't have to go to guardians day. Last year the coach pissed my dad off so bad, he was hospitalized for months. Luckily dad wiped everyone's memories, so no one got in trouble. 

"I don't want to be like that! I don't want to lose my humanity." I turned to face my window and I saw that there were more spirits by my window than normal. I got up and walked towards it, all the spirits were actually by my house. I opened my window and heard all of them.

"Please, help us."

"I just want to fined peace."

"Please help us fined peace! You are the grim reaper!" They all looked so helpless. I always thought they were scared of death, but I guess once their dead all they want is to find peace. I guess this is why dad is always working, he helps them all find peace.

"I am not the grim reaper, I'm sorry."

"But you look like him. You have to be."

"I am his daughter. I don't have the scythe, so I can't open the gate to help you." They looked so crushed, and I couldn't help them. I watched them fly away from my window, and all I can do is just stand here and watch them wonder around more.

"Do you understand now?" I didn't even flinch when I heard my fathers voice behind me. He placed his skeleton hand on my shoulder. "Lolita somehow you have some compassion for the dead, and that is why you feel like you will lose your humanity."

"So, what do I do?"

"There is nothing wrong I suppose with feeling compassion for them, your mother still does. Just remember, if you become the next grim reaper you will have the power to help these souls find peace. As a human you are no better than your friend Teresa who can only see them."

"What about Blake?"

"Blake still has a way to go in order to catch up to you, but he too would make a great grim reaper. He has the desire and the drive to be one, but at the moment all he can think about is the power. To be able to inherit the title, you need to also have an understanding of how the grim reaper helps keep balance. That is why I get mad when he messes with my system by sleeping with mortals. Remember Lolita. While they are not all useless and weak, they are fragile creature. They need someone to keep them in balance and help pass judgment upon them." 

I understood what he meant. As much as I want to be like them, they do need someone to help balance them out. I see all of these wondering souls, without a way to find peace. Without a grim reaper, humans would be completely lost. They need us more than they think.

"Well Lolita?"

"I understand father, I am a Reaper. As much as I would like to be one of them, I want to be able to send them were they belong. They asked me for help, and I was useless. I couldn't do anything."

"That is why I didn't want to hear you say you wish you were one. While I understand how attached you have become to human life, I never want you to forget who you are." I could feel him change me back. I looked at my hand and saw my flesh, and I could feel my heart beating again. I turned to look at my father he was smiling at me, but not as the grim reaper. But as my father.

"I understand father. I am Lolita Reaper, daughter of the grim reaper. I won't give up just yet."

"Do you mean that?" 

"I give you my word as a reaper father." 

"Good. Now come along."

"Where are we going?" He looked at me with a grin on his face.

"School. You have guardiance's day today." Crap why?!