05

I had a strange dream last night.

I wasn't in Wonderland. I was in another town, with high buildings and large streets. In the dream, I did not hesitate when I walked, so I guess that it should be familiar to me somehow, but I simply can't remember any of it.

I do know that I met with someone. I had flowers in my hands, and I gave them to her. I couldn't see well her face, only her soft smile. She said hello, and a word I didn't hear. Was it my name? We continued walking and chatted. Now that I think about it, I couldn't tell you what we actually talked about. The stars over our heads were shinning.

The last thing I remember is that I kissed her under the stars.

But who was it? Where was I?

Who was I?

I seriously can't remember.

...Alice came by again today. It was great, because he had dressed himself as a girl with a similar dress the other Alices wore. I couldn't help but laugh.

The Queen hit me, but it was worth it. Alice was ridiculous. She had even put on a wig!

I could tell it was one of the Hatter's ideas, as he looked like he was about to burst out laughing too. Alice was kind of mad. I think he had disguised himself as such because he knew how much the Queen disliked men and preferred pretty woman. I was the only male servant in the castle after all...

Anyway, Alice wanted to swear loyalty to the Queen. The Queen accepted that he did so, and that he'd give him the key to the Caterpillar Alley if he accompanied him (and me, incidentally) as he carried his duties in town... And changed his outfit.

Let's just say that I laughed again.

First, we travelled through town. I remained outside the carriage with Alice. The Queen met with her "loyal subjects", women from all ages in admiration in front of him. As always, I had to take all the presents that all the women gave to him and Alice helped me. I told Alice that I was jealous, but I wasn't really. Being surrounded by women you don't care about and giving them hope that you care...

It's simply cruel, too cruel for me.

But I am somewhat used to it. And I had to admit that the Queen was indeed beautiful, with his red hair and soft features. Even the two little hearts on his cheek added to his charm. I looked at Alice. He wasn't ready. Alice was never ready, but it was the first time that the Queen asked an Alice to do such things.

After the small visit in town... The Queen had to carry his business: execute those who did not respect the rules. There was simply no escape.

All the rules of the Queen are absolute.

Sadly, Alice did not know and hadn't faced such justice yet...

The Queen buried me under presents before I had the chance the tell Alice what was going to happen. I'm sure he did that on purpose. He knows me too well. They got into the carriage and we went away. Alice still had no idea.

We stopped in front of a small house. I helped the Queen out of the carriage, and Alice followed behind. Inside, there were three children. I recognized them. They were friends of the duchess that had died, a few days ago, because she had betrayed one of the rules. They argued with the Queen and Alice, without success.

"Due to her carelessness, the duke escaped from the residence and put Alice in danger. That's plenty of cause for execution," said the Queen, spear in hand.

The children had found something that could be used against the Queen, but it was pointless. Nobody would believe them. But there was something the Queen said that bothered me.

"...especially since I hate the color red," he said.

What a liar.

He of all people shed more blood than anyone else in Wonderland. Red followed him everywhere he went, and he caused red to appear without any hesitation. Why do he always repeat such lies?

Of course, Alice tried to stop the Queen. And failed. The Queen killed the three kids, Alice left in shock after obtaining the key he had come for.

And what was left was a complete mess for us to wipe away. I brought the body of the one who had almost escaped back in the house. After laying him down on the floor, I kneeled down and checked his vital signs.

He was gone, just like his friends. As always.

"Dispose of them quickly. I can't stand the color red," said the Queen to me and the other maids. "And tell the White Rabbit... That three replacement playing pieces will be needed."

I looked down sadly at the children. Unlucky victims of this cruel world. I closed the eyes of the boy in front of me.

"...Was showing this to Alice your goal all along... Your Majesty?" I asked slowly.

I know I shouldn't have. But I couldn't help myself.

"Jack... Are you going to disobey my orders too?"

I could feel his glare on my back. He was irritated. I could very well imagine the blood of the children on his face and costume.

"Don't speak," hardly ordered the Queen before I responded.

"..."

I didn't answer. I knew that he could decipher my silences as well as I could decrypt his glares.

I looked at the other man in silence. The Queen moved away and picked up a piece of paper.

"...Because the Queen loves the color red and hates the color white..." He paused. "The 89th Alice better properly grasp the enemy of the story..."

And again, he was talking to me, though I could not answer. What a cruel man. He turned towards me and our eyes met. Why? I wanted to ask.

"Don't make that face," he said with a sad smile. "I'm used to being hated by men."

...why was he sad? Something was off in the sentence he said...

Did he remember something before Wonderland? Because I certainly don't.

I wish I did.

Then, maybe, I could change this. Maybe I could finally escape the grip he has on me and finally be free.

I feel like the Queen is the key.

- Jack of Hearts