TWENTY-SIX| how far will you go?

Start from the beginning

Panic overcame my mind as Wells helped me to my feet, "Do you know why? Abby said no one knows anything about his arrest."

"No, my dad wouldn't tell me anything."

I reached to my left arm, wincing as I pulled out the I.V. Wells already had a change of clothes for me ready in a backpack. He handed me the bag as I began to feel nauseous. Maybe it wasn't a good thing to be moving so soon, but I had to get to Jaha before he executed my father. I needed to know what the hell was going on. So, I shut my eyes tightly for a few moments, forcing my mind on the task ahead of me. I had to be strong; I had to do this for my dad.

"You good?"

I nodded, opening my eyes, "I have to be."

I quickly went behind a curtain, throwing on the clothes from the backpack. Then, I looked around quickly as Wells watched the door. He signaled that the hallway was clear, and I moved as fast as my weak body would allow.

Okay, I needed a plan. What was my plan? Shit, I had no idea.

I headed straight to the Chancellor's office, determination etched on my face. My eyes widened when I saw Doctor Griffin exiting the cafeteria on the other end of the hallway. I jumped behind the wall to the left, holding my breath anxiously as she passed by, preoccupied by a conversation.

I continued down the hall when she was gone. I didn't have much time. As soon as Doctor Griffin returned to medical, she would notice my absence. I walked even faster as my body protested. My mind was yelling at me to sit down, but I pushed even harder as I spotted the door of the Chancellor's office.

It was locked, so I pounded my fist against it as loud as I could. I heard feet shuffling to the door, and then, when it opened, I was faced with Chancellor Jaha. He looked over me with disbelief and a bit of concern in his eyes.

"Harley?" He asked. "You're out of medical already? You just woke up a day ago."

I shoved past him into his office, "Let's just cut all the polite shit, Jaha. You and I both know why I'm here."

He closed the door, turning to me with a sigh, "Your father."

"Yeah," I answered rudely. "You wanna explain that to me?"

"He broke the law," Jaha replied. "I have no choice."

"Which law exactly?" I questioned with anger. "I deserve to know why my father; the only parent I have left, is being executed in two hours!" My outburst caused the room to spin slightly, and I rested my hand on his desk to steady myself

Jaha held up his hands in surrender, noticing I was in no state to argue with.

"Okay, you're right. You do," he took a step closer to me. "Two weeks ago, he was told by someone that Diana Sydney is the one who caused the explosion that put you in a coma. There was no proof; only an accusation. I told your father we couldn't place the blame on someone based on one person's opinion. I told him to let it go," Diana Sydney? Why would she do that? "He was convinced Diana did it, and he was so determined to prove it, that he looked into the Ark's surveillance footage. The footage from the day of the explosion had been deleted, which I admit was very suspicious."

"Obviously," I answered. "Council members have access to surveillance. That's not a crime."

"I'm not done," Jaha said. "Your vitals dropped really low. Doctor Griffin told your father it would be a miracle if you made it through the night, which drove him to an obsessive point. He... he broke into Diana's room two nights ago and tried to kill her. Luckily, someone tipped us off that noticed how unstable he had become, and we got there before he could."