EIGHT| i'm pretty good at beer pong

Ok just remember everything Bellamy taught you. You got this.

The day had come. Yes, it was time for sparing, and on that Friday I was more nervous than I had been in a long time. I hardly ever got nervous, so it was weird. I just needed a win after everything that had been happening lately, and I didn't want to let anyone down.

Plus, Bellamy being in the room watching wasn't any kind of condolence to my pounding heart. Especially when he gave me his trademark smirk, and offered a flirty wave. I held up my middle finger as a reply.

Commander Duke was putting up the sparring matches on the big whiteboard as I waited anxiously, praying that Murphy would be my partner. I wanted to beat the living hell out of that son of a bitch. 

Even though Commander Duke said he didn't like pairing girls with guys, he would have to since there were only like three girls and seven boys. I was relieved to see that I was one of the girls paired with a guy, and that guy was John Murphy. It was my lucky day.

When I glanced over at him, I swore that I caught looks of dread and fear in his dark eyes. He had a good reason to be afraid. Especially after what he said to me a few days ago about my mother and I. That little rat was getting it.

Our match was the second one, so I stood at the edge of the sparing mat to watch the first pair of people up. It was a dark-skinned boy named Nathan, and a blonde kid named Riley. The two of them both looked pretty lean and muscular.

They went back and forth for the longest time. Each getting in nice hits. I was so focused on the fight that I didn't notice when Bellamy came to stand beside me. He crossed his arms over his chest and spoke in a low, serious tone.

"Remember what I said about getting angry."

Nathan finally had knocked Riley to the ground, "I remember."

The match was called as Nathan stood victorious, and I began to step forward when Commander Duke called my name, but Bellamy grabbed my arm. He pulled me close to him and his eyes were determined and concerned.

"Harley, you cannot let your anger get the best of you. I know how much you hate Murphy, but you can't let your emotions get in the way or you'll lose."

I nodded, "I know."

"Good," Bellamy let go of my arm. "Now, go kick his ass."

He stepped away from me, and I could tell that I wasn't the only one who was nervous. Why was he acting so worked up? Bellamy was never that serious. Was he actually concerned about me? I didn't know Bellamy Blake got concerned about girls.

I shook the confusing thoughts away as I stepped onto the mat. Murphy was a few feet in front of me, and the tension between us was thick and intense. More so than usual. The room was silent. Everyone knew that we hated each other, and everyone knew the fight was personal.

Murphy raised his fists in front of his face, and I did the same as I got into my fighting stance; the stance that Bellamy taught me.

"You scared Winters?" Murphy taunted. "If you admit you're scared, I'll go easy on you."

I scoffed, "I think both of us know the only one here that's scared is you."

"Alright, enough talking," Commander Duke said with impatience. "Just shut up and fight." He was so charming. He really knew how to warm my heart and make me feel loved.

My focus was trained on Murphy as Bellamy's advice echoed in the back of my head. Ok, I had to stay calm. I had to be smart.

Murphy made the first move. The blow that was meant for my jaw whizzed by as a blur of knuckles as I moved out of the way, and grabbed his arm before he could pull it back. I brought my knee up and hit him in the ribcage. Murphy let out a gasp as his other fist went to my stomach, knocking the air out of my lungs.